passing on

i wrote this for english and it's based off of taetaetown's theory about namjoon being the grim reaper, which i thought made a lot of sense and was pretty cool. i changed a lot of the details, didn't include lots of things, and their deaths are all probably way out of order, but it's whatevs. enjoy this piece of poop that literally makes no sense.

-

when people imagine the grim reaper, they think of a tall skeletal man in a long, black cloak, a hood over his head and a large, gleaming scythe in his hand. in reality, however, that's not what he looks like - not at all. no, in fact, he's a beautiful young man with faded blonde hair and a black jacket, laced up combat boots and dark jeans. he has no scythe or cloak, only his lethal touch. to disguise himself among the humans and appear the same, he works at a gas station, treated with disrespect, money tossed at him as the customer drives off. but he never paid much attention to that - he always had more important things to do than worry about rude mortals. yes, for he was the feared grim reaper, kim namjoon.

the first soul he had taken among the group had been the young taehyung. the kid had been through so much in such a short amount of time, it was unfortunate his life had to end like it did. but he had no control, for this was his job, his purpose - this is what he did. he had known it would soon be taehyung's end when he had seen him walking along the bridge, head down and hood up. he could glimpse whatever he needed to in his next victim's life, so he had seen what would happen when the boy arrived back home. he waited as taehyung came back to the apartment, walking inside to find his father beating his mother, his being starting to boil with rage. he waited as taehyung grabbed an empty beer bottle, charging at his father, smashing the object over his head with such force that the man staggered back, dazed. he waited as taehyung gave his father no time to recover, taking the now sharp weapon and ramming it into the man's stomach, over and over and over, blood dripping and splattering everywhere, his mother cowering and gasping in horror in the corner. he waited as taehyung stood still with sudden terror at what he just did, breathing heavily for a minute after, sinking to the floor once he knew his father was truly dead. he waited as taehyung quickly got up, running as fast and hard as he could, finally stopping once he came upon a lonely structure near the ocean. he watched him think for a minute and then move forward to begin climbing the side of the odd thing. and he watched him finally come to stand atop the structure, making his last decision and smiling to himself, quickly breaking into a sprint and launching himself off the edge into the vast ocean where he would struggle for some time until finally accepting the darkness, drowning, and passing on.

next was the even younger and undeserving jungkook. the boy had fallen to depression after his friend's death, no longer having much will to live, moving through life like a zombie. one night, he had been walking through back alleys, in the path of two other men on the empty street. uncaring, he stayed in their path and collided with them, then continued to walk as if nothing happened. however, to the men who turned to look at him with anger, it wasn't nothing and they thought they had to teach him a lesson. coming up behind him, one of the men stayed behind while the other moved in front of jungkook, punching him hard in the stomach and when he bent over from the pain of the blow, he grabbed the boy's hair and kneed him in the face, knocking him back. the other dragged him over towards the wall, cornering and choking him. jungkook jerked his head away and smacked the hand down, glaring at the guy. it continued like that for a while, the men ganging up on the eighteen year old as he let them hurt him, knowing he wouldn't be able to win even if he wanted to. and when the fight was finally over, he grit his teeth in pain and continued the walk he had been on, coming upon a busy street with many cars zooming by. his mind not even in reality anymore, he kept walking, looking up only when he saw the headlights of that car that would kill him in his peripheral. namjoon stood on the other side of the street, invisible to the mortals, and remained there even after the ambulances had arrived too late and pronounced jungkook dead. his soul had been collected a few minutes after the car collided with him, so at least he wasn't in agony for too long. or that's at least how namjoon wanted to imagine it was. so he shook his head and moved on to the next victim.

hoseok, devastated by the deaths of his friends and needing something to dull the pain, turned to pills. he had been abusing them for a while, but with jungkook's recent death, he had taken it even further and accidentally overdosed. he didn't care, though, and namjoon watched him get dressed and begin his walk to the other side of town. arriving at the long bridge, they began the quiet walk. and when hoseok was halfway across the bridge, sun shining brightly in his eyes and namjoon trailing behind him, still unable to be seen, his body began to feel heavy and he passed out, cars in the lanes next to him not sparing even a glance. too much time had passed by the time someone did stop to check on him and the reaper knew that it was his time. he helped him pass on and then continued his own lonely walk across the bridge.

jimin was just sitting in the bathtub, thinking. well, that's all namjoon wished it was. what he was actually doing was sitting in a full bathtub, a lighter in one hand and crumpled note in the other. he brought the lighter to the note, gazing at it in both wonder and sadness as the flames consumed the page, destroying it and turning the little bit that was left to ash. his arms leaning over the side of the tub, jimin dropped both of them and sat back, his whole body except his head and neck under the water. namjoon wished what was about to happen wouldn't, but, again, he had no choice but to lean against the outside of the tub and listen as jimin's head slowly slipped under the water, quietly beginning to drown himself. a few minutes of splashing water and struggle later, the water stilled and namjoon let only a single tear slide down his cheek. he squeezed his eyes shut and opened the gate for jimin's soul to move on, wondering how cruel fate is that both best friends left this life in the same way.

yoongi was one of two friends still alive and he was almost completely numb. almost. he sat at the foot of the bed in his hotel room, a lighter in his right hand, the flame wavering slightly from the breeze that rolled in from the window on the opposite wall. namjoon leaned against the closed door a few feet away from him, head bowed. yoongi tossed his head to the side and threw himself back on the bed, pondering if this was how he really wanted to do it. now that his lover, jungkook - the only one he really needed - and most of his friends were dead, he knew there was no way he was going to keep living, but taking any people still inside out with him? well, he supposed, they did say you might as well go out with a bang. he quickly got up, namjoon stepping out of the way for him, and headed out the door to get the necessary item. minutes later, he came back, carrying a can of gasoline with him. closing and locking the door, he began pouring it on everything he could and, once empty, tossed it away and brought the lighter out once again. flicking it on, he slowly set fire to the room and watched the flames crawl up the walls and lick the bottom of his jeans, along with the the sides of his arms. the heat was boiling, but what did he care? he was going to be with his love again, so he sat down, listening to the sirens in the distance, and let himself burn up with along with the room. namjoon, learning against the wall now, also sat down and wondered how he would be able to deal with the next and final victim.

they were going to the ocean again. not him and taehyung, but him and seokjin, someone he never thought he would have gotten so close to, but somehow did and had always felt so lucky for it, but now it felt like a knife in his heart. seokjin had been been driving, window rolled up and hands gripping the wheel tightly. he opened the glove compartment, pulling out a picture that was supposed to be of him and yoongi weeks ago... but was only him. and that's how he knew they were really gone. all of them. so he turned from the road he had been taken and slammed on the gas with as much force as he could. they crashed through a gate, straight off of land and now they were sinking, in the middle of the same ocean that had taken taehyung's life. namjoon stared at seokjin's pale and tear-stained face and couldn't hold back his own tears. he rarely ever cried - i mean, he did this all time, he was used to it - but he had to take his own boyfriend's soul now. it was bad enough when it was his friends' souls that he had to help move on, but now his lovely and wonderful seokjin? so, even though seokjin couldn't feel it, he grabbed his hand and squeezed, leaning his forehead against the other's shoulder. he whispered to himself repeatedly as they sank, apologizing for all the pain and agony everyone of his friends had to go through, hating his job and what he was. and although there would never be any final escape for him, he let himself sink together with his love.