Chapter 5 - The Double Heartbreak

Chapter 5 The Double Heartbreak

~~~

I took a few breaths before answering. “I-is that so?”

“I came to ask how your father was. I heard you found him. But firstly, I need to get this straight. Do you really like me?”

I was stuck in a difficult situation again. When he asked me at the masquerade ball, I didn’t think he was serious. But with that look on his face now, there was no doubt he meant it. “Um… well… that is…”

I was blushing crazily now and there was no way I could hide my face. I was sitting opposite him and he knew I was embarrassed. “I guess I’ll take that as a yes.”

“But… why do you want to know?”

Senri’s P.O.V

She asked me why. Well I couldn’t tell her that it was because I was deciding to be with Rima and needed her to stay away. That would be too rude, but what other excuse could I make? Instead, I went with the last excuse I wanted to use. 

“That’s cause, well, I like you too.” Then I kissed her, just touching her dry lips.

I knew it would do something to her, but I didn’t think she would cry. “No way…” she mumbled with tears coming from her already puffy eyes. She was getting redder by the second. 

“Even though I like you… I’m afraid I can’t go out with you. I have decided to leave Japan for a while, to do some overseas modelling,” I made up. She nodded, sniffing.

“It’s okay, Shiki-kun. I… I wasn’t expecting anything.”

Well, thank goodness. I got up and went into the house with her following me. “Can you take me to your father?”

She sniffed one last time before going in front of me to a bedroom. “Father… you have a guest. I’ll wait outside,” she said without going in. I opened the door and saw an ill man in bed.

“Kuroda-san, it’s nice to meet you,” I said politely.

“Who are you, the doctor?” he replied hoarsely.

I chuckled. “No, I’m Senri Shiki.”

He looked away immediately, averting his gaze to the wooden floor. “What are you doing here?” he said, suddenly changing tone.

“I just wanted to see you once before I leave.”

“If you’re not here to ask my permission to marry Tsubaki, go away.”

I let out a discreet sigh. “I just wanted to check something about my father, that’s all. Was he the one…” I changed my tone to a whisper, “…who killed your girlfriend?”

“Get out! Now! I-” He was interrupted by a series of coughs. I stood there, waiting for him to stop. And when he did, most of his life had left him. Tsubaki burst in to see a duvet covered in filthy blood.

“Father! Come on, wake up! Father… father! Please!” Then she turned to me with icy eyes. I simply left and threw the note she left in my dormitory on the ground. She was bawling as I went down the stairs. I muttered ‘what a pain’ to myself, and exited the house. I didn’t even know what I did to make her love me so much.

Tsubaki’s P.O.V

I sat on a plastic chair, waiting for a doctor to come out of the patient room. My arms cuddled my legs and my face had already been ruined many times throughout the day, mostly by tears. I would sure have to drink a lot of water to make up for all that fluid lost.