Shadowy Christmas

I've been staring at the ceiling for what seemed like hours. Everything was radiant and alive but me. The fire in the chimney enveloping the wood, the snow falling quietly but quickly out of my window, little kids playing and making snowmen in the street... It was all so peaceful and nice except for me. Rogue was on a mission for almost 2 months now and I heard no news from him nor did anyone else. 

Sting was reassuring me that everything was going smoothly since it is Rogue we're talking about. I still had a bad feeling that he was in trouble and I couldn't shake it off. It was Christmas night and Rogue was nowhere to be found. He had a tough mission and it was normal to take so long but I hoped he would be able to make it tonight. Luckily, Minerva was there to keep me a company and have Christmas dinner with me but nothing was enough. I sighed heavily and I kept on staring blankly at nowhere.

As I was sitting on the warm carpet, I fidgeted with the little box in my hand. It had a cute but expensive necklace inside that Rogue bought me in our last anniversary and since then, I've always kept it hidden and safe. I planned on wearing it tonight but my other half wasn't there to admire it on me. I opened the box and touched the necklace delicately. The silver string shone beautifully reflecting on the fire of the chimney, creating peculiar colors. I smiled at this sight and tried to put it on me. I pushed the hair on my left shoulder and struggled to reach it behind my neck.

''Need any help with it?'' Rogue's voice echoed in the room and my actions froze the moment I heard his deep and melodic voice.

I didn't move an inch and Rogue was already behind me, taking the chain from my fingers and he clasped it around my neck in one swift motion.

''Y-you didn't give me time to answer, you know'' I told him and I noticed that my voice was trembling a little. He chuckled lightly and he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind. I recovered from my shock and turned around.

I grabbed him from his shirt and tackled him on the ground. I sat on his stomach and he put his hands on my hips. It was one of those moments that we were lost in each other. Nothing mattered anymore than me and him. The only sound that could be heard was our desperate kisses, our panting and the crackling of the wood in the chimney.

''Have you got any idea how worried I was?'' I whispered between kisses and a few tears escaped from my eyes and fell on Rogue's cheeks.

''Mhm, everything's ok now, you see?'' He whispered too and his hands moved soothingly in my back trying to calm me down. I sobbed so hard but I kept on kissing him, wanting to savor this moment forever.

We pulled away after a while, trying to catch our breath and I felt myself finally relax for the first time since I noticed his presence. I smiled happily now and even though I was still on top of him, I didn't want to move at all. With his thumb, he wiped all the remaining tears from my cheeks and he grinned back at me.

''Surprise babe'' He said and smirked making me pout instantly.

''If I had a problem with my heart, you would be really screwed right now, do you know that?'' I said jokingly and his smirk grew.

''Nah, you're a tough girl, I don't need to worry about things like that'' He said and brushed his nose in the nape of my neck, inhaling my scent.

''Mhmm, so how was the mission? Oh...and Where is Frosch? I just saw he's not there'' I added quickly and felt nervousness boiling up inside me, wondering if Frosch saw us in this weird position.

''It went well and I will be free for a week or so. About Frosch I dropped him off in Sting's house. He wanted to play with Lector and I wanted to play with you'' He tightened his arms around me and flipped us over.