Seventh Year

Beginning of Seventh Year

James was looking around nervously. Where was Lily? It was already 10:50, only ten minutes until the train leaves, and Lily liked to be there at least 15 minutes before.

What if she wasn't coming back? It was a bad time to be a muggleborn wizard, but Lily COULDN'T not come back! He couldn't survive school without her. Besides, he had to see the look of disbelief on her face when she found out he was Head Boy. He was sure she was Head Girl, and he couldn't wait. This was supposed to be THEIR year. This was the year they would finally get together. He could feel it. She was supposed to fall passionately in love with him, she couldn't not come, she just cou-.

James's thoughts were interrupted when he felt someone jump onto his back. He craned his neck, saw it was Lily, and grinned like a child on his birthday.

"Lily!" he yelled letting her down off his back, and pulling her a into a hug.
"I thought you might not come back!" he said.

"What? You thought I'd miss our last year at Hogwarts? Please, I've been looking forward to this all summer. This is gonna be the best year ever!" she said, pulling him back for another hug.

He laughed and ruffled her hair.

"Would you two lovebirds hurry up? Train's leaving in seven minutes." Sirius called out to them.

James rolled his eyes, and then did a double take, noticing that Lily had turned bright red. Since when did Lily blush over things like this? People always teased her about liking him. She'd never been embarrassed before. What had changed? The only thing he could think of was... But no, Lily couldn't like him. Could she? Did she?
He glanced over at Lily again, but she was avoiding making eye contact.
There was an awkward silence until James grabbed Lily's hand, and pulled her towards the train. "We're gonna miss the train if we don't hurry."

Lily started to run after him, but ended up tripping and dragging them both down.

As they toppled over, James put his hands out to break their fall, but ended up landing on top of Lily, only managing to not crush her, because he was in push up position, holding himself up.

Their eyes met, their faces only an inch apart. Lily was as red as a tomato, squirming, but couldn't get out from under him.

James was watching her, grinning at her discomfort.

"So... How was your summer?" he asked grinning.

Lily looked like she would rather be anywhere else, and muttered, "fine"
James looked as if his dreams had come true, but on the inside, he was nervous.

This was his chance to find out if Lily liked him, but time was running out, and he couldn't bring himself to do it. Sure, he could ask her out when he knew she'd say no. At least he was used to it. It didn't hurt so much, but letting himself hope was dangerous. If he thought she would say yes, and she didn't... Well, he knew what it would feel like. It would feel like the first time she rejected him, back in third year. And that had hurt. Bad.
Lily on the other hand, wasn't hiding her nervousness. Having James so close to her made her feel too many emotions, and she didn't like it. She didn't like not feeling in control. Ever since the end of last year, she had been feeling DIFFERENT around James. Not bad, but something was off. If she didn't know better she'd say she was falling for him, but that was impossible. After all, he was James Potter and she was Lily Evans. She couldn't like him. It was physically impossible. How could she like him? So he had a great smile, and he was funny, and handsome, and a great quidditch player and- oh no. She had fallen for Potter. Literally, she realized, looking up at Potter's face, so close to her own.