Chapter 18

With Kurt’s arms wrapped around her waist, she leaned into each bend with him. They moved well together, as if they were one, as if they’d always belonged to one another. Her spirit took flight, as she threw caution to the wind. Today was hers. Nobody would be able to take away the pleasure she felt right now. Kermit chewed up the miles, and before she knew it, they were leaving the Sunshine Highway. Near Coolum, Kurt indicated turning onto a narrow dirt road, marked “Private Property.” They travelled slowly for another kilometre, before they came into a clearing, where they finally stopped.

As they dismounted, Lauren looked around in astonishment. Surrounded by coconut palms, was a quaint timber cottage on stilts, painted a nature friendly green, blending perfectly into its surroundings. When she pulled off her helmet, her senses were bombarded. The fresh sea breeze lifted the damp tendrils from her forehead. Inhaling deeply, the distinctive fragrance of the jasmine, growing next to the steps reached her nose. She could even taste the salt in the waves crashing on the beach beyond the trees.

Kurt’s deep, blue eyes smiled warmly down at her, as he took her hand, and drew her towards the cottage. He unlocked the door, and led her indoors. After a brief tour, he guided her to a room leading off the living area.

“You should find everything you need in there. We’ll have a drink, and then go for a swim.”

The bedroom was appealing, with a small ensuite. To her surprise, she found her sister’s two-piece bathing suit lying on the bed with a colourful sarong, and in the bathroom, the toiletries that she’d normally have used. Opening the wardrobe, she discovered a variety of Diane’s clothing. Kurt had obviously been planning this trip for a while. Lauren stripped off the stifling leathers and donned the bathing costume and sarong, before joining him in the informal country kitchen.

“Do you like it?” he asked awkwardly, handing her a tall glass of fruit juice.

“Like it? I love it.” She watched as a smile of relief spread over his face. “How long have you had it? It’s charming.”

“Only a few weeks. One of my clients needed to sell a few assets,” he grinned. “I’d been here before, so I made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. I thought we could do with a secluded get-a-way of our own.”

He looked at her over his glass. “I bought it with our wedding anniversary in mind. You wouldn’t have to worry about Jessica. We could be alone, without being too far away.”

Lauren gave him a weak smile, before taking a large gulp of her drink. She didn’t want to be reminded of her sister’s return. Not today. Today was all hers and she wanted to enjoy it.

“Do you want to see your beach now?” he asked, offering her a tube of sunscreen. Lauren allowed her senses to revel in the caressing motion of Kurt’s hands roving across her scantily clad shoulders and back. When her turn came to cover the bits he couldn’t reach with sunscreen, she found her fingers lingering unnecessarily to hypnotically massaging the milky cream into his exposed skin. With a warning growl, he captured one of her hands, to kiss the sensitive spot at her wrist, before leading her from the house, to wander hand in hand, down to the beach.

High, rocky outcrops of land extended into sea, about sixty metres apart, creating an exquisitely private beach. Kurt turned, head cocked to one side, with an eyebrow raised. Lauren read the question in his eyes with a grin.

“It’s magnificent,” she cried, impulsively throwing her arms around his neck. He whirled her around, and ran down to the water’s edge, dragging her with him. They played like children in the waves, splashing, diving, and belly surfing, occasionally pausing to kiss and caress one another.

Gradually, the sun dipped out of sight behind the trees, and their stomachs began to grumble hungrily. They walked in companionable silence, with their arms around each other, back to the cottage.