Here Comes Jack

I woke up the next morning to the most annoying sound: my alarm clock. I roll over to the other side of my bed and slam it off. I groan and roll off the bed gaining a confused look from my dog who was resting soundly on my crumpled blanket. "Morning Wheatley," I say patting the head of my rescue. Wheatley is about the size of a lab and is a mix of something or other. He is very fuzzy so he lacks the smooth coats of most dogs. His ears didn't stand up, but they seem to always be perked. His coat white with tan patches, and he has light brown eyes. He is the sweetest dog, and I swear he understands every word I say. I walk around my two bedroom condo and let Wheatley out into the small back yard. I feed him and make myself breakfast. I go through my usual morning routine.

The weather seems pretty nice today, so I decide to take Wheatley for a walk to a coffee shop. I put on a pair of jean shorts and a plain white v-neck. I grab my worn out vans and my dogs leash. The second Wheatley hears his leash, he clumsily bolts for the door with his tail wagging rapidly behind him. I put his leash on him and grab my phone, wallet, sun glasses, and keys, then head out the door.

The walk to the coffee shop was relatively short. I would occasionally get yanked in random directions because Wheatley smells something, but other than that, he is being pretty good. I get to the coffee shop and ordered a coffee and ask them to bring out a bowl of water for my dog. As I sit outside and wait, I watch the people go by.

I wonder what Jack is doing?

I hope he knows today is my day off. He's been coming around my shift everyday for the past two weeks, and I know that the food isn't that good. I've learned a lot about him and I find myself looking forward to seeing him now. I learned that he's almost never serious, plays guitar in a band, is a huge fan of football and often plays it, and he has a great smile that I couldn't seem to forget. It's been really strange lately because I find myself wondering more about him. He's the only person that's shown some sort of interest in me since I moved from my home town in Colorado to Baltimore about a year ago. It's been kind of lonely and maybe not my best idea to move to a place where I don't know anyone, but that's why I left. I lived in a small town named Creede and everybody knew everybody and everyone's business.

A few minutes after I got my coffee, I feel Wheatley tug at his leash. When I look up, I'm greeted with the smiling face of none other than Jack. "If I didn't know any better I'd say you were stalking me," I say with a grin looking up at him through my sun glasses.

"Who's to say I'm not?" He taunts as Wheatley excitedly sniffs his leg.

"Should I scream now or later?" I question jokingly as Jack laughs a little.

"Is he friendly?" Jack asks referring to my over energetic dog. I nod yes and Jack bends down to pet him, but Wheatley takes it as a invitation to kiss.

I laugh at Jack's surprised reaction as he stands up and wipes his face. "Sorry I should have warned you. He loves to kiss," I say.

"That would have been nice," he says. "Is this seat taken?"

"That depends, are you stalking me?" I ask raising an eyebrow.

"Guess I'll just have to sit, and you can find out," he says smirking at me.

"Go for it." He pulls out the chair across from me, and he sits. Wheatley shoves his head on top of the arm of the metal chair, which earns a kind pat on the head from Jack. "So, I see you have another food joint you visit often," I jeer referring to to the coffee shop we are seated outside of.

"Nope, the only place I go to regularly is the place where they have the cute waitress," he says nonchalantly looking at me. I feel my face get really red and he laughs. I can't really remember the last time I got a compliment. "You're blushing."

"Thanks I was unaware," I say playing with the lid of my coffee.

"Oh, I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about another cute waitress that I stalk at a diner."

"Okay that makes me feel better," I laugh.

"So, are you from around here," Jack asks trying to create conversation.

"No, I'm actually from a super small town in Colorado," I say taking another sip of my almost empty coffee. "What about you"

"I'm from Baltimore. Born and raised. What made you decide to move so far away from home?"

"Just, the fact that... I mean people just know everyone in my old town and I guess I wanted to start off fresh," I say realizing that sounds really sketchy.

"Too many people knew about the dead bodies in your freezer?" He jokes.

"Exactly." I take another sip of my coffee.

"I get that." He nods thoughtfully as his phone makes a loud noise.

He groans in response, "That's HQ, I'm going to order some coffee do you want me to get you something else?"

"I'm good, thank you," I say as he stands up.

"Be right back." A few minutes later he comes back out and we make small talk until his coffee is ready. He tells me that him and his band are recording a new song today and he is the coffee boy today. His coffee comes out and he stands up to leave. "Well, I need to head out, but before I go I was wondering," this can't be good, "are you doing anything tonight?"

What should I say? If I say no will I sound rude? But if I say yes will I get invited to something I don't want to go to? If he invites me somewhere I won't say no because he is the first person in Baltimore to try and be nice to me, "Not that I know of," I respond before I regret it.

"Well my band and I are having a party tonight and I'd love it if you'd swing by," he says grinning at me.

"Why not?" I say shrugging.

"That's the spirit! Here," he says extending his phone out to me, "put in your number and I'll text you the address and details." I type my number quickly into his phone, "See you then," he says as he waves goodbye.

What did I just do? I hope this isn't as horrible as I think it might be. I just hope he really isn't a stalker.