Untitled Part 1

There is no way I can hold my friend Bharat responsible for what happened. He tried to talk me out of the whole thing. He couldn't have known that when he told me the legend of Bhim Gaj, I would have to give it a shot. That's how I roll.

I came to Nepal for the Aquilid meteor showers. The newly discovered collection of space debris has caused quite a stir in the astronomy world. The Indian subcontinent will be the best place to watch. I planned to get two birds with one stone. Hang out with Bharat, take spectacular photographs that launch my photography career.

Then he told me about the largest elephants on the planet, in the nearby Chitwan Nature Reserve. I figured it would be three birds with one stone. Hang out, see the meteors, and be the first to ever photograph Bhim Gaj. Literally, giant elephant.

According to the legend, no one had ever been able to photograph one of the beasts, though many have attempted it. All who tried were cursed. Sounded like a challenge to me.

When I suggested we go on a photo safari, Bharat thought I was crazy. "You don't just go into Chitwan and walk around until you find the elephant you are looking for. It is a very big place."

"True. Which is why we will have to use technology and our brains. And of course, bribery."

The technology part is pretty simple. I came to Nepal armed with a wide array of cameras. Nature shots are not difficult to take.

What we really need though, is an insider. Someone who works in the park, who knows their way around. Someone who wouldn't mind earning a few extra dollars to be our guide. Someone who can be flattered by an American who buys them drinks at their favorite bar...

Because it always comes down to who you know. If you are expecting to succeed in life with hard work alone, be prepared to work hard for a very long time. I prefer shortcuts. Money and an understanding of human nature are useful substitutes for hard work. As a mentor once told me, it is better to work smart than to work hard.

I can tell, Bharat is skeptical. But I know it is a matter of statistics. Hang out and listen. People talk when they are in bars. They talk more, and louder, when they have been drinking. After a while, you can ask them anything, and they won't even remember you tomorrow. Unless you want them to.

Of course, I need Bharat. I don't speak much Nepali. So off to the nearest bar. We'll listen to the chatter, until we find someone who works in the park. Everyone talks about their job. They either talk about it because they hate it, or because they love it. It ends up sounding the same. I will spend some money buying drinks for strangers. That is okay. I only have to get lucky once. You can't win if you don't play.

That is how I made enough money to be a wannabe photographer. I'm a gambler. Not the silly kind of gambler that spends their money at casinos or on lottery tickets. It's not gambling when fixed statistics can predict how much you will lose.

I make money in the stock market. No set odds there. And no rules. Well, let's say there are no rules that can't be broken or bent. You just have to be careful. It's not illegal until you get caught. I have some simple rules, here are a couple of them:

When you are breaking the law, don't write anything down on paper.

Never deal with dishonest people unless you know you can trust them.

Not as hard as it sounds. You need a plan and you have to be able to think. And find other dishonest people who are as smart as you. Avoid stupid dishonest people like the plague. They always end up in prison or in the morgue, and they can take you with them.

Which of course, is why you should learn how to play golf. When you are in a golf cart, at a beautiful country club, with someone who has inside information, and no one else is around, you can talk.