Polarize

Word count: 427
             Dan's Pov
      I walked into the classroom, staring at my shoes. I looked up just as someone stood up I front of me. We bumped into each other and I tried not to scream at them for not looking where they were going. The boy, who had very pale skin and black hair, grabbed my hand and pulled me up.
"Are you okay?" the pale boy asked.
I quickly shook my head yes and scurried to the back of the classroom and put my head in my arms.
I felt a tap on my arm. I looked up and saw the boy. He smiled and said, "Hi! I'm Phil. What's your name?"
I mumbled "hi, Phil. I'm Dan."
He smiled and chuckled. I wondered what was so funny.
"Do you want to be friends?" Phil asked eagerly.
I nodded and laughed at how enthusiastic he was.
"Why are you wearing all black?" He asked me. "Isn't that like emo??" He asked again, not knowing what was going to happen next.
I stood up, accidentally pushing my chair over.
"Did you just call me emo?" I asked with a sudden burst of anger inside me.
Why are you angry at him? A little voice in the back of my head asked.
Phil cowered away in fear.
"N-n-No. Of course I didn't. Come on Dan. Don't be s-s-silly..." Phil stuttered.
I knew he hadn't meant to call me emo, but my anger acted before I could, if that makes sense and I swung my hand at his face. I felt my hand stinging from the impact. Phil grabbed the side of his face and started to cry.
I growled and smirked. The side I tried to hide came out.
"Why are you so cheery?? Huh? Are you from fricken candy land or something? That's not how life works and you know it. Happiness won't help you buddy. Get over it." I yelled at Phil.
      Phil looked at me with wide eyes. The tears that welled up in his eyes were now on his cheeks and streaming down his face. At that moment I didn't care if I had hurt him. My only friend. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. I wouldn't have kept him as a friend for long anyway. Boy was I wrong. I needed him more than I thought.
      Phil stomped away, tears streaming down his face and a cold look on mine.
      I had polarized more problems than I had thought. And not having Phil as a friend was only one of them.