Chapter Four

~Ace's POV~

                Days turned to weeks and Ikari relentlessly kept attacking the Old Man, after my hundredth attempt on his life I was beginning to feel as if it were pointless. But her determined rage, her unwavering persistence and that hellish fire that burned in her broken gaze spurred me forward. I'd lost sight of the real reason I'd chosen to face Whitebeard. I wasn't as angry as I used to be and I had a suspicion it was because of what I witnessed it doing to Ikari. Her rage was taking a toll on her health. Her paranoia led her to neglect sleep. She didn't trust anyone or anything. I'd never caught her accepting food from anyone and she was constantly patrolling the ship, never sleeping, never eating.

                She was on a downward spiral and the only thing that waited for her at the bottom was endless torment. I lost myself in my thoughts about the enraged girl and my own ambitions. Originally I'd set out to defeat the strongest man alive to prove to myself that I was stronger than that bastard father of mine. I wanted to prove that I could stand against his enemies, but I wasn't strong enough yet. Being on this ship, I was beginning to lose sight of my original goal and hang up my past hatred and regrets. I didn't want to live off my rage; I didn't want it to eat away at my soul like it did with Ikari.

                I heard approaching footsteps and looked up as someone placed a bowl of creamy stew beside me. The first division commander, Marco, retreated back to the crowd.

                "Hey." I called after him causing him to stop and turn to me, his electric blue eyes brimming with curiosity. "Why do you all call him father?" I asked dryly.

                "Because he calls us his sons." He replied simply.

                I scoffed at this and was prepared to wave it off. He wasn't going to be serious with me then I didn't care.

                "To the rest of the world we're outcasts." Marco continued on. "It's just a word, but it makes us happy." He smiled and I felt something grip my heart. I'd always longed for a family growing up. I wanted parents and siblings and so I found myself two brothers, but there was something more I was missing. I wanted a father figure in my life, someone to look up to.

                "How long are you going to keep risking your life, Ace?" Marco sighed as he knelt before me, "You can't take on the Old Man as you are now. You have to decide, are you going to get off this ship and find your own way or are you going to accept his name?"

                I heard a familiar voice snort in derision, "You're pathetic, rookie." Ikari stood before me glaring between me and Marco, betrayal and hurt burning in her garnet eyes. "I can't believe you're actually considering it."

                The blonde division commander turned to the irate girl with a sigh, "You can join us too, Ikari."

                "Over my dead body." She hissed icily before shooting me another glare, "I should have known you'd cave." Her glare intensified but it was the glassy look to them that had me concerned. There were tears welling in her eyes as she turned and stormed away.

                The fact that she felt so betrayed by me made my heart hurt, "Oi! Doll Face, wait up!" I called after her, but Marco stopped me with a shake of his head.

                "Best to leave it alone." He said morosely as he raked worried fingers through his hair, "She won't listen to reason."

                Ikari was spiraling and it was becoming painful to watch.

                Later in the day while most of the crew made their way to the galley for dinner, I headed to the main deck to find Ikari training. Her body shook from the effort, tired from her relentless rage, training and pacing. Thatch watched her from the edge of the main deck shaking his head softly.