03.

03.

Princess Auline was just putting a dark pen to her eye when she heard a distinctive titter. She lowered the utensil a little, and turned to her Pantä.

"What? It's pretty, isn't it?" she turned back before hearing the answer, stroking the kohl across her eyelid with practised hands.

"You are pretty, Auline," Eythios said, hopping onto her dressing table. "Why do you put so much on?"

"I don't," she said, but as she spoke her eyes swept over the painted lips and rouged cheeks she could see in the mirror. She glowered down at the plain rabbit, as if tempted to take her frustration out on him.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a tentative knock which rung through her empty chambers, bouncing off every polished surface - and there were many polished surfaces.

"Please, come in," Auline said, taking one last look into the mirror. She smiled at the servant who entered, who relaxed at her expression.

"Princess Auline, the king requests your presence at dinner. He says that he wants to talk to you."

She stilled for a second before answering. "Okay, of course. Of course I'll be there. Thank you."

"Thank you, princess," the boy said, before disappearing behind the open door and swinging it shut. Auline looked over at Eythios, with the telltale signs of desperation written on her face. Her forehead had one thin crease near her hairline which disappeared as she tried to calm herself.

"Eythios, I really, really don't want to talk to him," she moaned. "Not about anything, let alone the inevitable topic."

"I understand that - I really do. But don't you... don't you wonder..."

"Wonder what?" Auline asked sharply. "Nothing father has told us can be trusted. You saw the other day, when he lied through his teeth without a care! He's not even any good at it. His Pantä was stressing out beneath the table, and his eyes were darting around like he could see ghosts - livid ghosts."

"I saw," Eythios confessed. "His Pantä wasn't talking again. She's such a funny thing - so mixed up. You don't suppose that they're... cracking?"

Auline barked with harsh laughter, "No. No they aren't crazy. Father crushes his Pantä beneath his stone feet, so she has no control and he has no guidance. It's sickening - it's ironic really."

Eythios gulped and closed up. "But, Auline, don't you wonder what else father is lying about?"

She stopped in her tracks, a hairbrush midway through her hair. "I don't know. I can almost assume that most things he has ever said are lies."

"That's an exaggeration."

"Is it? I have very few answers, but I've provided more of value to myself than he has."

She looked fleetingly up to the clock, and swept the comb through her hair once more. Her eyes were drawn back to her reflection, and she sighed.

"You look lovely, Auline," Eythios scampered forwards towards the door.

"I know," she replied, puzzled.

Eythios looked concerned, but Auline strode straight past him and down marble stairs. The rabbit hopped along behind her, his stride much smaller than hers. She was graceful where he was clumsy. She jostled him down the stairs, stretching their bond for no reason. He didn't hold it against her - she was preoccupied with greater matters.

She entered the dining hall with confidence, smiling, "Father, I'm so glad that you invited me here."

His brow rose into a look of bewilderment, "Of course, my dear."