A is for Asthma

Karrington:

I swear this woman talks in monotone just to drive me insane. Mrs. Moore drags on about something I can't be bothered to pay attention to, so I look around the room instead.
Marlowe is letting Dean practically finger her under the desk, and Thomas is starring at me, again.
God I hate people.
I raise my hand a bit.
"Karrington?" Mrs. Moore recognizes me.
"May I go to the washroom?"
Mrs. Moore shoes me away with one of her wrinkly old hands.
Quickly I get up and walk out of the room.
I do go to the bathroom. It's just not the only stop I make.
I head for the back exit where nobody ever goes. Cool air hits my face as I push the door open.
I lean my back up against the brick wall and stick my earbuds in.
Jazz plays as I inhale fresh(er) air.
I get two songs into the playlist when the soothing action is interrupted.
Something sour fills my lungs and I recognize it as smoke. A fit of coughs erupts from my throat as I pull my music out and turn my head to look for the cause.
My eyes land a boy who carelessly looks me up and down before rolling his eyes.
Typically, I would just walk away and hold a grudge.
But I can feel my short breaths catch faster than normal.
"Asthma." My hands fly to my mouth. "I have- asthma." I manage between coughs.
The boys eyes grow in slight concern and soon he's stomping out the glowing cigarette.
Though this helps a little, it's not enough.
Soon I'm on my knees, my face the colour of a tomato, coughing up a hair ball or something.
The lanky boy crouches down to my level and begins to pull me upwards.
"Let's get you to the nurse, yeah?"
I nod my head the best I can as he grabs my elbow and leads me back into the school.
There are ten minutes left of class but I don't think I'll be going back.
There are a few people in the halls, all of whom look at us funny. A combination of the dying girl and what's more, her being escorted by Harry Something or other himself.
My heart is swooning. (Hint sarcasm).
Thankfully, the Nurses office is close and unoccupied.
"Come in," she says when she sees its me.
I hobble over to a red 'leather' chair an put my head between my knees.
I expected for the boy to have left once he brought me here, but me stays, rubbing a big hand between my shoulder blades.
Though I'd never admit it, it feels nice. If it were anyone else, and if we were anywhere else, I'd probably lean into it.
The nurse brings me my puffer and I breath in like its the last time I'll ever do so.
I repeat this for a solid three minutes before I've somewhat regained my breath.
"What was it this time?"
I can feel Harry's eyes boring into my temple, but I don't look.
"I was trying to catch a bus." The lie forms swiftly.
No way do I need this kid on my case.
I can feel the tension leave the room when he isn't turned in.
"The days almost over, so I'll let the office know you where with me." I purse my lips and nod my thanks. "As for you young lad, there's nothing I can do."
He nods, his head of curls falling in front of his eyes.
"Thank you."
I avoid eye contact with him as she shoos us out of her office.
As I head upstairs to my locker, I can feel his body keep in step beside mine.
"Wait up." Harry wraps long fingers around my forearm.
I swallow, hesitantly turning with a half attempt at a fake grin. "I'm sorry. If I'd have known-"
"Yeah, well. What can you do?" I reply, tugging myself away from his grasp.
"Hey," he try's again as I swoop through a door and up the stairwell. "Can I uh- is there any way I can make it up to you?"
I try my best not to laugh, "No thanks."
We're in the corridor now, a minute until the bell rings.
"Please," His body is close to mine, locking me between him and a locker. His lips brush my ear.
"Let me repay you." Something wet flicks across my ear lobe.
Oh my god.
"Oh my god!" I huff, pushing his chest away from me. I use his surprise to my advantage, wriggling myself out from underneath his looming figure.
I'm only a few giant steps away, when I hear two things.
1) the bell
2) "I'm sorry!"
Shaking my head I push through the crowd.
Unbelievable.
I guess he is just like everyone says. And the worst part? He believes it more than anyone.

AUTHORS NOTE:
Thanks for reading first off.
Secondly, you won't really be seeing many more of these, I don't want to break the flow.
But let me know what you think and vote if you want!
-H