Chapter 18 THANK YOU

Rumes' POV
My father was all right, for now. But that didn't mean the mess in my head was too. I hadn't really gotten a chance to talk to Em, and I was scared, legitimately scared of how she would react. How it would look to her if I suddenly appeared in fron asking for forgiveness. How it would appear after years of pretending that I didn't care about her.

How would it feel to me? How would it feel to have a part of my past back? A good part.

I sighed. 

Nothing had been going straight the past few days.

It had been 2 days since I had been at hospital with my father. I had booked a room at a nearby hotel for my stay, because I obviously wasn't going to leave my father like that. And, it seemed that Cassandra wasn't going to leave me.

There was something about her last name- Anderson- which bothered me, but I didn't dwell on it more than I had to. I couldn't tear away wound after wound just to find nothing beneath.

But, the less I wanted to think about Cassy, the more she consumed me.

My thoughts surprised me. Because I hadn't really thought like this about a girl before. Something more than sex-related stuff. Just about her and me.

Of Course, that didn't stop me from looking at those lips and wanting to kiss them or looking at her body. But I didn't want to destroy what little we had.

Whatever she was, I was kind of interested to know what had been her past. But, I hadn't been giving her last name more thought than required.

I would not deny that her presence made things easy for me.

I had forgotten comfort long ago when I gave a part of me. When I changed myself so completely, that sometimes I didn't recognise my own face in the mirror.

But now I think about it, I didn't make myself strong. All I did was to move away and away from myself. I ran away, like a coward. Of course, someday I would face it again. Someday my past would haunt me again.

But this time I was going to face it.

***

"Sir, it is mandate that you attend this meeting. Our company is already going through a crisis, what with your father, but we need you-" My secretary said.

"Look, I understand. But you understand this first- I am not leaving my father. Get it?"

But my secretary, I had given her less credit than I should have. "Sir," the word seemed forced out of her mouth. "Our product will not reach the market on time. The board will take drastic measures."

I looked at my father, he was sleeping, having been woken up just this morning. Going out of the room, I tried to rein my anger. There was only one person in this world whom I loved openly, and it was my father. One of the few to really love me back.

"I don't give a fuck! You are on this job for a reason. Figure this out." I said, angrily, shutting the phone and leaning on the door with my eyes closed.

When I opened them, I saw Cassy in front of me. I really didn't want to talk to her. She'd ask me about Emily and I would have no answer, once again.

But she just stood there with something steaming from a kind of thermos with a surprised look on her face.

"Come in." I grunted and went inside, not waiting for her.

"Uhh... was it your... was the call work-related?" She asked as she poured out some soup for all three of us.

I glared at her, but she didn't flinch, so I took a loud breath and nodded.

"Why were you so angry? I mean, not that you aren't always angry anyways, but that was pretty hardcore."

She won't let it go.

"They want me to attend a meeting tomorrow morning."

She looked surprised. "So, why don't you?"

My nostrils flared. "Fuck, Cassy. Have you looked at my father?!"

She narrowed her eyes at me, not in a challenging way but in an almost concerned manner. Almost.

"I know you are worried about your father, but your father wouldn't want you murdering your career like that. Plus, there is the hospital staff to take care of him." She said.

"I know, Cassy. But I want someone who I personally know to personally take care of my father and I-"

"I could, if you want, that is." She said the words in a hurry, as if almost scared to get them out.

It took a few seconds to sink in.

"You would?" I asked slowly. "But don't you have your own work?"

"I do, but tomorrow is a Saturday. A half shift. I will take the day off. It's not anything uncommon. Plus, you look in dire need of rest. So, just stay at home and sleep on Sunday. I will be with your father until then."

I stared at her. "Are you sure?"

She returned her attention to the soup. "Yeah. Absolutely."

I took the soup from her hands. "Thank You."

And, in a long time, I really really meant it.

____________________________________

So how is it? Please like,vote, comment and share.

ALSO, thank you for supporting my story when I had been so irregular in posting. Thank you all for reading and voting!

Read on.

K R Y S T L E