Count down.

0 Days. 03 hours. 23 minutes. 12 seconds…

My name?… What do names mean any more when everyone is dead."

That’s right… I’m the only person alive. Everyone has died off long ago.

The year is 2019. People started dying in 2013 around the middle of spring. It started off slow, people thought it was the common cold. But then, but then it got worse, and someone died, and then another. by late summer the population of the U.S dropped my 15% By winter 50% of The U.S died. By 2014 July, Half the world died. In June my family got sick, they ended up dying within three weeks.

Then my best friend shortly after.

By 2016 March I was the only living person in Canada.

By 2016 May I was the only living person in the world…

Now you’re probably wonder why I mentioned a countdown.

I’ve had this little black thing on my wrist… for a while now actually. Everyone else had them too. They kinda just… grew out of our wrists.

No one had their countdown in sync. People liked to make jokes about them like “When the time runs out, that’s when you move out from your parents basement" or “You’ll finally get a job!" But they were wrong. They were, so, so wrong.

When the Timer runs out… You die…

0 Days. 03 Hours. 00 Minutes. 39 Seconds.

I figured since my timer is about to run out. I might as well die where I would like to. I’m headed to my home town again, Edmonton Alberta. I would at least like to visit my families grave before I die. 

0 Days. 02 Hours. 15 Minutes. 00 Seconds.

I’ve made it back to my home town finally. I just need to find where the grave is… where was that again… You see, a while ago, when It got really hard to find people, I decided to start travel, I left Alberta to go to Montana, from Montana I went to North Dakota, then South Dakota. I lived there for a while, but once everyone died there, I decided to head back home, and here we are, fully caught up.

0 Days. 00 Hours.  30 Minutes. 48 Seconds.

Where the fuck was that grave?

0 Days. 00 hours. 15 Minutes. 14 Seconds.

Well, 15 More seconds till my death. What’s so great about life anyway? WHAT’S SO GREAT ABOUT LIVING ALONE FOR 3 YEARS. NOT LIVING ALONE AS SINGLE, AS THE ONLY FUCKING PERSON ALIVE IN THE WOLD!

…I’m sitting on a city building roof. looking at the dead, over grown city. If anything, I would at least like to die with someone. Like my friend Mike, or my friend James, even my family died with each other. They didn’t have to suffer cause they had a five minute gap. but no, “I HAVE DIE ALONE! I HAVE TO DIE WITH NO ONE BUT FOR ANIMALS TO EAT ME AFTER I DIE. NO ONE TO MOURNE FOR ME." I shout.

????: "IS SOMEONE THERE?!

Was that another person? no, it couldn’t be, I must be imagining things.

????: “I HEARD YOU! PLEASE ANSWER ME!"

No.

????: “I DON’T WANT TO DIE ALONE EITHER!"

There is someone! I see someone, Brown long hair, running through the city!

I run down the down the stairs as I take a quick look at my watch. 

0 Days. 00 Hours. 5 Minutes. 59 Seconds.

Shit, I don’t have much time left.

I finally get out of the building “COME BACK! MY TIMES ALMOST UP! PLEASE!" I shout.

0 Days. 00 Hours. 2 Minutes. 49 Seconds.

"WHERE ARE YOU?! PLEASE! I’M GOING TO DIE SOON!" I shout.

Nothing…

0 Days. 00 Hours. 1 Minute. 30 Seconds.

I lost her… I lost her and I’m going to die, alone.

… I can’t give up yet, I should at least try.

I start running down the city streets shouting

1 Minute. 10 Seconds.

Still haven’t found her. I’ve been hearing her shout in the distance, but I haven’t found her.

1 Minute.

I see her. About 5 blocks down.

She sees me, we make eye contact. I start walking, running, sprinting, sprinting faster than I ever though I ever thought I could.

"MY NAMES JAKE! WHAT’S YOURS?!"

April: “MY NAMES APRIL, NICE TO MEET YOU JAKE"

49 Seconds.

April: “TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF"

"WHAT IS THERE TO TELL, PEOPLE DON’T DEVELOP MUCH WHEN NOTHING HAPPENS"

April: “I MENT BEFORE EVERYONE DIED"

"I USED TO MAKE GAMES. I NEVER FINISHED ANY THOUGH, I ALSO LIKE DRAWING. WHAT ABOUT YOU?"

April: “I USED TO BE IN A BAND"

"WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DID YOU PLAY"

April: “MY BAND USED TO PLAY COVERS OF RISE AGAINST AND BAD RELIGION AND OTHER BANDS LIKE THEM"

"I LOVED RISE AGAINST"

34 Seconds.

"HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU HAVE LEFT?"

"31 SECONDS!"

No, our count downs are in unison.

"IMPOSSIBLE! NONE OF THE CLOCKS ARE IN UNISON"

April: “MAYBE OURS ARE DIFFERENT. MAYBE WE CAN DIE TOGETHER?"

Is that possible? But, what if?

25 Seconds.

"HOW OLD ARE YOU?"

April: “WHY ASK SUCH TRIVIAL THINGS?"

"THE MORE YOU KNOW?"

April: “21, WHAT ABOUT YOU JAKE?"

"20, ACTUALLY."

24 Seconds left.

We run into each other, holding each other.

"I don’t want to die yet"

April: “I don’t either."

10

"April"

9

8

7

April: “Yes, Jake?"

"Do you remember what will happen after we die?"

April: “I think that it’s not something for the living to know"

4

3

"Yeah I guess"

2

1

0

???? “Times, up. Time for you to die"