Chapter 17: Scarecrow

My leg was sleeping. I hurt like hell, but I couldn't move. Kid Flash was lying right beside me, and we were squeezed close because of the small space. We were lying between 2 crates looking down at the docks. More precise we were looking at the smugglers on the ground. There were no places to hide but between the crates. Kid Flash said that they couldn't see us in this small space, but I knew that wasn't the only reason.

Kid Flash was using a binoculars too scan the docks, and I was trying to concentrate on listening to the smugglers conversation. Why did smugglers always have to late?

A little less then week ago I overheard some thieves talking about doing business with some smugglers. They were smuggling a weapon into Keystone City, and it sounded very dangerous. They talked about its power and how it could kill thousands. And drive even more mad... Whatever that meant... We captured the thieves, but the only thing we could get out of them was the docks number and the date. They didn't give us any names or organisations.

So here we are. Dock number 6 at 3 am. Squeezed close. Not exactly my definition of a good night. There had been no activity for two hours. They were just patrolling the area and complaining.

Kid Flash yawned and I shushed him.

J: "Do you want them to discover us?"

KF: "After 3 hours of boring watch duty? Yes... I actually think so."

I rolled my eyes at him.

KF: "Not that it isn't nice to be lying right beside you, but I dreamt of that in another way."

I almost coughed, but I hold it back. How do you respond to that?

J: "It's only been 2 hours."

His grin grew bigger.

Suddenly there was movement at the docks. A large truck drove into the empty area. It parked, and a lot of armed men jumped out of it. They were all dressed alike, and with their masks, made of what looked like linen bags, they were completely identical. They looked like a ridicules military group. Kid Flash whispered in my ear.

KF: "That looks like Scarecrows men. If it is... Things don't look good for Keystone."

The armed men secured the area and the smugglers were placed in front of the truck. Then what had to be their commander steeped out of the truck. It wasn't Scarecrow, but he looked important and was wearing a more fancy armor than the others. He walked slowly and confident.

Commander: "So... You have the money?"

One of the smugglers was holding a briefcase. He opened it, and it was filled with small diamonds. A guard quickly checked them and nodded to the commander.

Commander: "Bring them the product."

3 guards carried 6 boxes over to the smugglers. One of the smugglers opened it, and he looked very pleased. Each box contained a little glass cylinder filled with a green liquid.

Smuggler: "And the device?"

A fourth guard appeared carrying another box. It was larger than the others. They opened it, but I had no idea what it was. I was a machine of some sort.

Smuggler: "How does it work?"

Commander: "Just insert the product and press the red button on this remote control."

He handed the control to the smuggler. The smuggler nodded.

Smuggler: "How bad is it?"

Commander: "One of the products alone would affect more than 10.000, and then they'll take a couple of hundreds with them. The urge to kill will be too great to resist."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Urge to kill? That would be a disaster. The smuggler smiled. That monster!

Commander: "The Scarecrow thanks you for choosing his product, and he guaranties it works, or you'll get all your money back."

The commander bowed politely and walked back to the truck. I looked at Kid Flash, but he wasn't there! I hadn't noticed! How could I not have noticed?! Then someone started to yell. I turned my head again. A lightning was flashing around on the ground. It suddenly stopped, and Kid Flash was standing holding a lot of guns. Guards and smugglers looked at their empty hands, and Kid Flash smiled.

KF: "What's the problem? Feeling empty handed?"

He flashed away again, and a second later he was back again. This time he was holding the briefcase.

KF: "Very empty handed perhaps?"

Commander: "Kid Flash... I heard you were patrolling the streets of this city. But please, we're used to the Bat. Do you really think, you scare us one bit?"

Kid Flash steeped forward.

KF: "You don't have to be scared... Just slow, and believe me, you are."

The men started to run towards him. He got ready, but I had no intentions of letting him do it all himself. I jumped down from the crates, made a somersault in the air, and made a roll when I landed. I jumped up on my feet and saw a lot of staring faces. I used their surprise to my advantage. I jinxed the closes, and they flew backwards. Kid Flash ran around beating up people, and they had no chance to see him coming.

I turned to the commander. He was standing completely still and calm. I walked towards him, but he didn't move. I wanted to smash his face against a wall for bringing that device into Keystone City. I stopped 2 steps away from him.

J: "You're going to pay."

He laughed at me.

Commander: "Silly, little girl!"

Suddenly he pull a small tin can up from his pocket.

Commander: "Don't you think, I'm ready for something like this."

I wasn't fast enough. He pushed the button on the side of the can, and the gas known as fear-gas were shot towards me. I heard Kid Flash:

KF: "Jinx! No!"

I couldn't avoid it. I could hear the words in my head: The urge to kill will be too great to resist. Would i try to kill Kid Flash? But then he pushed me away. It was impossible! But Kid Flash was the impossible, and he flashed over to me and pushed me away just in time. I hit the ground and took a deep breath in relief. But then I looked back at Kid Flash. He was standing where I had been standing. The fear-gas surrounded him, and I saw it disappear into his mouth and down into his lungs.

J: "Kid Flash!"

I screamed his name, but he was just standing there. He didn't move one bit. I turned towards the commander, and with all my anger I jinxed him so hard that he flew backwards into the truck. I could hear the sound... The snap... His back was broken. He wasn't moving for long time now. I got up and put one hand on each of his cheeks.

J: "Kid Flash? Please! Say something!"

His eyes was slowly starting to glow, but not in a pretty way. He quivered, and looked me in the eyes. He looked sorry and scared. A tear appeared, and he wispered:

KF: "Run..."

J: "What?!"

I looked at him surprised. He had to be kidding me.

KF: "Run."

I took a few steps back. He started to shake. A lot. It hurt to see him like that.

KF: "Run!"

I turned around and started to run. I ran up the road, but I didn't get far. I stopped and turned around when I heard a heart crushing scream. It was him. Wally! He was in so much pain! He was kneeling and smashing his hands down in the ground. Then he suddenly stopped. He got up slowly. It looked so scary! Then he lifted his head and looked around. He clenched his fists.

Then he looked at me. His eyes were glowing, and then he screamed. Not in pain but anger... and fear. A mix of anger and fear. In that second I understood why I should run. I turned around, and then I ran as fast as I could. Away from the fastest boy alive.