Chapter Twenty Two

Peeta POV

"Your love." She whispers. She's confusing me.

"But I do love you." I retort, making her laugh bitterly.

"No you don't," Katniss says, tears slowly falling down her face. "You used to love me, Peeta. You can tell me that you just pity me."

"Fine," I shout in her face. The demon inside of me is taking over. My mind goes blank but I continue to talk. "You're a mutt that isn't loved by anyone! I should've never fallen for you! I shouldn't have let my heart take over! I was stupid! I should've never let you live when I was with the careers! I shouldn't never confessed my love for you in the first games! I should've never kissed you! I wish I had let you die, you mutt!"

Why do I have to keep mutting, I think, you're going to destroy her. She starts to shake, looking straight into my eyes. Her grey eyes turn blank, glazing over.

"I'm a mutt." She whispers. I go up to her, grabbing her shoulders.

"I didn't mean it," I whisper, shaking her. "You're not a mutt. Don't listen to me."

"Why did you save me?" She whispers, her eyes refocusing.

"I saved you because I loved you." I say, tears rolling down my cheeks. My heart is breaking into millions of pieces watching her trying to figure it all out.

"Loved?" She asks, her eyes focusing on mine. "Did you love me during the rebellion?"

"I did," I start. "But then I met Melanie and it went down hill."

At that moment I can see what's happening inside of her head just by staring deeply into her eyes.
Pain.
Regret.
Heartbreak.
Love.
Hatred.
Anxiety.
Depression.
My heart breaks into pieces.

"I thought I'd find you two kissing by now." I hear a voice say from behind me. Katniss's eyes shift to the doorway.

"Finnick." She whispers.