Chapter 2

"You will not leave with her!"

"She is my mate, I will not leave without her. No one has any rights to come between mates, Councilman."

Lux opened her eyes, eyebrows furrowed as she looked up at the dark red, slanted ceiling. She didn't have time to be confused because people were raising their voices once more, drawing her attention.

"She is my daughter! She will not leave my side," Father hissed, angry. So angry it made Lux scared.

She was laid back on a bed, and she wasn't quite sure how she got there, although she had an idea. She turned her attention to where the voices were and was surprised to see that the door was closed—the voices were coming from the outside. Vis, Domino and Avery were standing by the door.

Lux sat up.

"You're awake," Vis said, turning when she heard the sound of Lux's dress shifting.

"What's happening? What happened?" Lux asked as she swung her legs to the side.

"You fainted when you found out my brother was your mate," Avery said, smiling brightly.

Lux stared blankly at her.

Did she say mate?

"Mate?" Lux repeated, to make sure she had heard it right.

The grim nod from Domino and the eager ones from Vis and Avery confirmed it for her.

She had a mate.

Lux had one. And she wasn't quite sure how she felt.

What was odder than that was that her mate was a werewolf.

The voices outside had become more quiet, but she could still hear a discussion going on, but there were now more voices, and by the energies Lux could detect, she could tell already who were there.

She didn't have time to contemplate it as the door opened and Father, the man with the amber eyes, Alpha and Luna Harris entered.

"Get up, Lux," Father said, and Lux immediately stood, head down.

A snarl rang through the room, making Lux shake in surprise and fear.

"Do not speak to her like that," her mate said, voice low, and it only then occurred to Lux that he was an Alpha, remembering Avery's words earlier.

"She is my daughter, I will speak to her in any manner I wish," Father said, his voice very low and dangerous, and Lux swallowed, afraid of what Father might do.

A growl erupted once more, and silence followed. Lux could imagine them glaring at each other, staring one another down.

She didn't dare look up.

The man, whose name she still didn't know, broke the tense silence. "Gather your things, Lux, we are leaving."

Lux looked up then, wide eyed. She looked at the man, then to Father, who looked very angry. Father knew. Father knew what would happen if she left with that man and was away from her family, from Vis.

When she didn't move, Father spoke up, through gritted teeth. "He is your mate, Lux. Hence, you must leave and stay with him."

The hate-filled way Father had said it made Lux very scared. Of course Father knew. But he'd be damned if he let Vis leave with her, too. She wanted to ask for more time—to pack, to say goodbye, and to let everything that's happened so far settle down. But she was afraid—of Father, and of him.

So she looked down and nodded.

Within seconds, she was engulfed in Vis's embrace. Her sister whispered in her ear. "I'll find a way to come to you, Lux, I swear it on the Moon."