Chapter 3

Declan

I knew I had my hands full as soon as I saw her. Her frightened heart couldn't take much more. It was pounding so hard when I caught her that I was sure it was going to burst out of her chest. I put her to sleep and dared anyone of them to keep advancing toward her.

No one was brave enough to stand up to an Alpha and immediately backed down. Now I had to figure out what happened to this girl and why I'm so drawn to protect her. I had to get her away from me at first until my wolf would settle down. Mena was a healer and she needed the care immediately.

I turn around to take a glance in the backseat where the little firecracker was. She was demanding answers and I wasn't giving them until she tells me why she was here.

Teagan found her car and had it towed to the house. The only thing on her was a soaked bag with her personal things and a lot of money. It spelled trouble and she brought it to my town. I needed to know what I was up against.

"If you're going to kill me then do it already! I'm tired of running and I have no money!"

It hurt to hear her say that. Teagan knew too because he looked at me before turning the vehicle in the driveway. I told him about the strong feeling I got when I got near her. He believes I've found my mate finally. I've been fighting the pull ever since.

"I'm not going to kill you. But when we get out, you're going to explain to me why you're in my town and carrying a lot of money."

She stopped talking and crossed her arms. We pulled up to the house and I couldn't help being proud of what I had built. The house before this one was ready to fall apart. After many years of abuse it took from wars of our kind, I finally had it tore down. This new one that stood in its place wasn't a mansion. It was a house that was big enough for our likings. My brothers, Teagan, Corbin and I are the only occupants right now.

She got out before I could open the door and stood there waiting on me to walk first. I took her arm and gently led her up the steps. I don't think she was going willingly like it felt. She just knew there was no use in running.

Corbin met us at the door. I took her straight in the living room and got right to the point. "Explain." I crossed my arms and watched her hands fidget. My brothers stood in the background waiting.

"Am I not allowed to be in this town? I can go somewhere else. I was just passing through anyways." She said nervously.

"I know you are in some kind of trouble. I can help you if you help me."

She stared at me hard. "I left my boyfriend and I just wanted a clean break. I had a lot of money saved and decided to leave but I wrecked my car and I didn't have a phone to call a tow truck. There, are you happy!"

It felt like I was slapped. A boyfriend? The only thing that didn't make since was she didn't have his scent on her. I would have been able to smell him on her or her belongings. She was lying about something and she wasn't budging. It made me angry.

"You're not leaving here until I get the truth." I walked out and slammed the door. I heard her talking to Corbin and Teagan, trying to get them to believe her story and let her go. The only other thing I knew to do was scare her into telling me. If she brings trouble, I don't want to be surprised.

A car came pulling up as I started to head back in. It was Tyler, one of the wolves I took in when his Alpha turned on him. He was a good kid and just got his driving license. He had a thing for Mena but she is too old for him and after being threatened by her brothers several times he stays away from her.