Chapter 40

Harry and Ginny's Wedding, Part Two

Ginny Weasley gripped her bouquet tighter in her hand.

For weeks she had made a big deal about brides being given away by their fathers, how it was sexist and degrading. She had felt a little guilty about not letting her father walk her down the isle seeing as she was his only daughter, but Ginny Weasley was not being "given away" by anyone to anyone. She would walk to Harry alone.

But as she stood there, shaking in the hallway, she suddenly wished someone was here with her. What if the doors in front of her opened to no Harry and a confused and sympathetic crowd is guests? What if she fainted halfway through the isle?

She also suddenly wished she had a cell phone.

She had spent a month with Hermione in London with Hermione's muggle parents one summer, and she found their life absolutely captivating. She understood her father a lot better. Her favorite item of Muggle technology was a cell phone. With one simple call, she could have alerted her dad and problem solved. But now, what was she going to do? Walk in there; tell everyone to wait a second, she had to get her dad?

"Ginny? You ready?" Luna asked, coming up behind her.

"Luna!" Ginny gasped gratefully.

"Is something wrong? You look anxious." Luna said calmly.

"Look, Luna, could you get my dad?" Ginny pleaded.

"Sure! You're planning to get married right?" Luna asked.

"Yeah--of course I am--I just need Dad." Ginny answered, and Luna turn around and ran out.

At least the bridesmaids' dresses looked good.

Ginny's dress {#werethinkingmaywedding} was a mermaid cut, with beads and a sweetheart neckline. Her hair was done up carefully with lilies in the bun and a veil coming down to the middle of her back.

Her shoes were killer. They were red satin heels with diamond roses running up the heel. She hoped she wouldn't surpass Harry's height in them.

"Sweetheart?" Arthur Weasley appeared around the corner.

"Dad--dad I want you to walk me down," Ginny said, feeling like a small child asking to sleep in her parent's bed because she had a nightmare.

"Of course, Ginny." he said warmly, taking her hand.

The doors swung open, and revealed a bright room with decorative brick walls and hits of red everywhere. The wide windows behind Harry--he was there, ready and smiling--gave a spectacular view of the New York city skyscrapers. The noise from the streets, however, was completely blocked out.

And blocking a considerable amount of window was Hagrid, who stood in front of Harry and was wiping his eyes on a red silk tissue. Harry insisted that Hagrid should be the one to marry them, and Ginny eagerly agreed. She could just imagine the stories George would tell about her twelve-year-old self obsessing over her crush, Harry Potter.

Harry looked a little confused, probably because of her accompaniment down the aisle.

Ginny blushed and smiled a little, peeking to side at her father.

Harry winked, and moved from the altar. He strode towards her down the aisle and took her hand.

"Ginny, will you allow me to walk you the rest of the aisle?" he asked, smiling.

"Yes," Ginny said, relieved. She hugged her dad, who kissed her cheek and clapped Harry on the back.

Once at the altar, Ginny and Harry took their places facing each other.

A ear-shattering trumpet noise came from Hagrid, making Harry jump and Ginny gasp. Hagrid wiped his nose again and began to speak.

"We gather here today," he sniffed, "ter celebrate tha-tha union of Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley."

Harry smiled and Ginny, who winked back.

"I remember when Ginny used ter come ter me, askin' advice 'bout Harry. Her eyes were always wide when she'd--she'd come and talk 'bout when Harry looked at her in tha hall, or spoke ter her in tha common room." Hagrid smiled warmly at Ginny, who's face was scarlet.

"An' Harry--to her, Harry seemed ter be too busy fightin' evil and gettin' detention ter bother her. But any time Ginny's name would be mentioned, Harry'd sit up a bit straighter, an' avoid Ron's eyes."

The audience laughed.

"I came ter a lot o' Quidditch matches, an' let me tell yer, Ginny got just as much attention as tha Snitch." Hagrid said, nudging Harry and almost knocking him down.

"So withou' further ado," Hagrid clapped his hands once, "I believe tha two have written their own vows?"

Harry nodded, and pulled out a piece of parchment. His hand was shaking slightly.

"So, er, Ginny, I don't really know what to say since I'm not all that good at this stuff. I just have to say that you're amazing. You are the most independent, beautiful and fierce woman I've ever met and I can't believe that I finally get to marry you." Harry said, sliding the ring onto Ginny's hand.

So it wasn't like Ron and Hermione's heart wrenching poetry of wedding vows.

But Harry and Ginny had a silent relationship. Anything that should be said or could be said was said in the way they just were. It was shown in their actions, in their smiles, in their kisses.

Ginny smiled at Harry shakily.

"So Harry, here we are. We're getting married!" Ginny fingered her hair nervously. Harry grinned.

"I'm not going to talk about my time obsessing over you as a twelve year old girl--we all know the story there and it was nothing to do with why I'm marrying you right now. I don't love you because you killed Voldemort--though that kicks ass--but because you're you. You make me feel loved, and safe, and beautiful, and you look at me like I'm the only person who matters to you. You make me laugh, and hold me when I cry, and that's more than my 12-year old self could have asked for." Ginny finished, sliding the ring onto Harry's finger.

After another eardrum-shattering trumpet blow from Hagrid, he started to wrap up the ceremony.

"Do you, 'Arry Potter, take Ginny Weasley ter be yer lawfully wedded wife?"

"I do," Harry answered, locking his eyes to Ginny's.

"And do you, Ginny Weasley, take 'Arry Potter ter be yer lawfully wedded husband?"

"I do," Ginny answered.

"Then with tha power invested in me by tha Ministry o' Magic, I now pronounce you husband an' wife. You may kiss tha bride!" roared Hagrid, and Harry laughed and kissed Ginny fiercely on the mouth. She wrapped her arms around his neck as the audience cheered and clapped.

Ron cleared his throat and the two broke apart, red and grinning.

Harry and Ginny ran down the aisle, laughing when one would trip over a loose foot or purse.

"Come on, Mrs. Potter," Harry whispered in Ginny's ear, "we have quite the party to attend to."