Chapter 48

Ashton's POV

After a late night of swimming and walking on the beach, we return to the hotel that is walking distance from the beach.

Luke opens the door and allows me to enter first, surely sneaking a peak at my backside as I walk through. I chuckle a bit but choose to let it go.

We enter the rather large room and I just now start to look around. We're on the third floor I believe and we have a beautiful view. There's a large bed in the middle of the back wall and as you walk through the room, it also contains a cooking area and a living area with couches and chairs and such. It truly is beautiful. What could I ever do to deserve him?

"This is perfect Luke. Thank you so much." I say as I move toward him. I wrap my arms around his shoulders and his move to my waist. I breathe in his scent deeply and smile into his chest.

"This is only day one love." He says with a smirk on his face.

--

Soon after, we are both in bed. Luke fell asleep a while ago, but I haven't yet. I know I won't. Not until at least 5 or 6 tomorrow morning. It's 10 right now.

I stare at the ceiling for a few minutes. I'm trying not to move to much. Luke's arm is resting over my side and my back is pressed to his chest. I don't want to wake him, but I can't sit here and think all night or I'll do something I'll regret.

Slowly, I remove his arm from my waist and climb out of the bed. I look back to find him still asleep. I smile at my success before grabbing my phone from the night table and heading to a different part of the hotel area.

I reach the kitchen and decide to make some tea. I check around in and few cabinets before I find some decaffeinated green tea. I smile. Luke literally thought of everything.

I quietly make the tea before settling on the couch. I pull out my phone and open up kindle. I decide to read more of Mechanical. I started it a couple days ago and it's pretty good.

I read and drink my tea for a while until I hear a groan from the next room. "Ashton?" He calls out.

I close kindle and check the time. Oh.. it's already almost 1. "I'm in here." I call out to the still sleepy Luke wearing only boxer shorts.

He comes out the door to the bedroom and comes to sit beside me on the couch. "What are you doing love? How long have you been up?" He asks in a raspy voice.

"I um. Couldn't sleep. So I, uh, came out here a few hours ago." I say, knowing he won't like that I didn't just wake him.

"Why didn't you wake me? I would have stayed up with you, doll." He says with worry in his eyes.

"Luke, just because I can't sleep doesn't mean you shouldn't." I say with a chuckle.

"I know. I just don't want you to.. um. Nevermind." His voice fades out at the end.

"To do what?"

"Hurt yourself." He says softly. "You always told me nights were the worst. When you were sitting in your room. Alone with your thoughts. And you just couldn't do anything about it. Your thoughts would eat away with you until you couldn't help it anymore." I says with worry lacing every word. "I just want you to be okay." He finishes.

"And I want you to be okay. I'm used to not sleeping. And I slept half the day today. I'll be okay. You need sleep. This is a vacation for you too. Honestly, tonight, the thought never even entered my mind. It was around 10 when I left the room and I came and made tea and read until now. I'm not saying I'm better because I'm not. I've not gone more than a few days without cutting, but tonight I didn't think about it. If I did, I would have woken you up because I would never want you to be mad at me or disappointed or anything." I said honestly. I don't want Luke to be mad at me. That thought kind of scares me.

"Baby, I wouldn't be mad at you. Not at all. I would be upset with myself. And I'm proud of you for tonight."

"I'm okay. Seriously. You should go back to bed. You look exhausted." I say quietly. He really does look exhausted. His bright blue eyes shine the same but the dark bags underneath injure the color. His hair is up in all different directions while a few strands rest flat on his forehead.

"Are you coming with?" He asks softly.

"Yeah. I'll be back in a few. I'm just gonna put away the tea stuff and clean my cup." I answer with a yawn.

He nods lightly before turning around and walking back to the bedroom.

I slowly pick up my cup and pad over to the kitchen. Washing the cup with soap and water I hum softly and my eyelids begin to droop. I quickly finish washing and drying the dish before returning it to the cabinet I got it from.

Then I walk into the bedroom to see Luke waiting on me. "Come here doll." He says softly, tapping the empty bed space beside him.

I smile slightly before moving myself over to the bed and laying down. He pulls me closer and I face him, our noses brushing together. I show a smile and let out a content sigh.

"What?" He asks in a whisper.

"It's only been half a day and this trip has been amazing." I say, laughing at myself a bit when I realize I'm probably being over dramatic.

He chuckles along with me before resting his head on his arm and the other around my waist. I curl into his chest with a smile on my face and allow myself to drift off into a peaceful sleep.

Until it wasn't peaceful anymore...