Chapter 5

I've been pacing for the past hour and I'm pretty sure I've worn a hole in the rug. When someone finally knocks on the door, I take a couple deep breaths and answer. It's Steve.

"Hey Kara." He greets with his usual smile, this time looking a bit concerned.

"Uh, come in Steve." I welcome him in and close the door behind him. This is it. I've tampered with the door and window's locks so that you can't open them, even from the inside, unless you do it a special way. So if I do miss when I shoot at Captain America, he won't be able to get away instantly. He doesn't look like the person who would run away, but seeing as he won't have his weapon, any of his friends with him, and I'll be too far away to fight when I shoot at him, he may still try it.

Also I have knives everywhere in my jacket and my boots so good luck disarming me. Plus, if I'm somehow caught by the police or SHEILD or whoever, they probably won't find all of my knives.

I reach for my gun which is strapped to my side under my hoodie, but stop when I think about what I'm about to do. Argh, I can't let his nice-guyness get to my head! Then my brother's death flashes before my eyes. The pain in his eyes while gripping at his side, where a bullet had entered his flesh and stained his shirt red. I loose a small sob just remembering it and Steve is at my side in seconds.

His strong arms hug me and I feel snugly warm as he rubs my back. Slowly my hand drifts to my gun and I push it against his side. He feels the contact and, when I push harder, disconnects from the hug and back up when he notices what it is I hold.

"Kara?" Steve starts backing towards the window slightly. I remain silent and I don't meet his eyes. He is my mission; I can't be friends with him. "Kara, what's going on?" My grip wavers ever-so-slightly on the gun when I detect a bit of pain and confusion in his voice and Steve, er, Captain America, takes the opportunity to attempt to open the window.

He pushes upwards and keeps jerking at the window, but it won't open, even after he 'unlocked' it, not noticing the locks I've installed. And the fact that I pretty much made the window indestructible so he couldn't punch through the glass

His shoulders slump and I realize he's given up. He turns around so he is facing me again.

"Hands up." I command, gritting my teeth to keep the emotions swirling around in my head non-evident in my voice, but it still wavers slightly. He keeps staring me in the eye as he slowly raises his hands.

"You're the assassin." Thanks Captain Obvious.

"And you're the target." I reply levelly.

We stay silent for about a minute. He doesn't move, he just stares me in the eyes. I know he's my target, and yet my mind reminds me of the time we spent together. Although we barely know each other, he was the most compassionate guy I've ever met, and really kind.

I sigh and the gun seems ten times heavier so I let it pull my arm back to my side and it slips from my grasp.

"I can't kill you." I whimper, "You're my only friend." I turn around; I heard him run behind me as soon as I had dropped the gun. Now he's the one aiming the deadly weapon.

He advances a few steps. "You don't want to arrest me." I whisper. Somehow he hears me.

"Why not?"

"Because," I look into his eyes, "the longer I'm on this case, the longer till Scorpion sends someone else to kill you. Someone who can actually complete the job."

"Scorpion won't find out." Captain America promises, "and it doesn't matter if he does, not if we can stop him first."

I nod slowly. "I'm sorry Steve." I whisper, and I really am. I feel his hand on my shoulder.

"C'mon," He nods towards the door, "let's go."