Varyth

Varyth woke underneath the cool blankets of his bed. The room that Levi provided for them was quite magnificent. It was twice the size of his room in the Sage Tower and was well furnished for an inn. Various medicines were lying on the table next to his bed, and it was then that he noticed Genna's absence.

"No doubt she is with that Levi," thought Varyth as he slowly climbed from the bed. 

He did not trust Levi, nor did he trust Levi's 'everyone deserves love' folly. He was up to something and Varyth knew it. Genna, however, was convinced that the man was a gift from the gods. 

Shivering in pain as he tried to stand straight, Varyth noticed a cane sitting next to the bed. Attached was a note from Genna:

"Levi bought you a cane and said that you should be able to walk today. I think it's amazing how he used all of those medicines to treat your infection! I am out with Levi now, helping him with his work. I will be back before the day is out."

Varyth cursed to himself silently and grabbed up the cane. He had to get down to the docks. He was in no condition to ride horseback to Galenport but he would have a much easier time in taking a ship. 

No doubt Levi would offer them the coin for the journey, he was at least kind enough for that. The question remained, however, as to if he would let them leave. The queen wanted both of their heads on a platter and has eyes and ears everywhere. Levi, if anything, was the biggest set of eyes and ears he had ever seen. He had taken too much interest in them, and that was enough to set Varyth's suspicions to arousal. 

He trudged slowly from the room and left the inn. He was surprised at how slow he had become. He was lucky to even be alive, so he made do with his slow pace. The sun felt nice upon his skin, and he was grateful for a beautiful day. The sky was clear and the sun bathed the city in warmth. The air was not too hot and not too cold, but just the right temperature to make you want to never go inside. 

He breathed in the smell of the many different flowers that covered the city. 

Lord Maverly must really love flowers, thought Varyth as a cart full of multicolored ones pushed past him.

He began walking as he spotted a sign, pointing to the docks. Children ran past him, giggling to themselves as they played. Varyth smiled as he remembered the children who played so very often in Brokepurse. Kyran had been among those children. 

He gripped his cane in anger as he realized that Kyran would never know that happiness again. At the age of ten, Kyran now has to endure the responsibility of war. Varyth had never intended this to happen. Kyran was not supposed to lay his claim until he was eight and ten. He would have been a man grown and a man ready to fight. 

Varyth's anger at Genna came flooding back all at once. She was the reason that all of this started in the first place and now he was helping her get back to Kyran? Why should he? She ruined his life twice and now wants to repay him? Varyth calmed himself down as he realized that he could not change the past. 

"She says she has turned over a new leaf. I will have to trust in that. No matter how much it displeases me."

After finally reaching the docks. Varyth began looking for sturdy vessels to take him to Galenport. Most ships from the Queensgrove sailed there. Come to think of it, most holdfasts that lay upon the sea usually sailed for Galenport when it came to trade. Galenport was Ethios' main source of import and export for the western portion of the realm. Ships from all over the world sat in its harbor, making it a colorful place filled with cultures from many nations. 

The docks were teaming with busy sailors and merchant captains. Captains shouted orders at their crew as they began to load their ships with a variety of different goods from Magnolia's market.