The Gods' Gear, The Bookeepers, And a Loan Shark

The gleam in Blackbeard’s onyx eyes caused Carrigan a moment of hesitation. She wasn’t much familiar with the feeling, and perhaps that’s why her next words weren’t, “Sorry, I don’t think so.” Instead she swallowed a mouthful of ale, slammed the mug down on the table and said, “Well? Spill it. I don’t have all night.”

Edward smiled at her let’s- go attitude. He knew it would be easy to rope her in. Women always felt the need to prove themselves on par with men and he knew it would be even more so for Carrigan. She had her father’s boots to fill, and taking on the most dreaded pirate of the New World would help her do just that.

He crossed his legs prettily and said, “Well it just so happens that neither do I. So, the wager: the classic of to the victor goes the spoils. That will include ship and crew.”

“So what’s the game?” Carrigan replied, unblinking. She had already known what the wager would be, if ever there was a pirate that wouldn’t bet his own ship she’d never heard of him. The game, however, was something she never would have guessed. Alright, she might have guessed, right after, “let’s wrestle a gorilla to the ground and put him in a dress.” And right before, “We’ll dip our naked bodies in honey and lie down on some African fire ant hills. Last one to scream wins!”

“I recently took up an interest in some old folklore,” Edward began. “I was perusing some books, I got them from your father actually, for three shillings. Anyway, I ran across a legend, something quite amazing, quite powerful. They call the Gods’ Gear. You’ve heard of it?”

“Fuck, no.” James guffawed. “What the hell kind of kiddy play is this?”

“Hush, James!” Carrigan said, her tone was even and low, and James hushed, rather quickly. “What kind of game is this?! I thought we were dueling or drinking or, or, bloody hell, dancing jigs. That’s madness, Captain.”

“Is it, Captain?” Blackbeard asked, propping his black booted feet up on the wooden table. His smile was snake- like when he delivered his next line. “It is said that anyone who can lay hands on it is granted its one power, the power to grant the heart’s greatest desire, something I’m sure you’d like to have.”

Carrigan immediately thought of her father, like Edward thought she would, she was sure. She cursed herself a bit, but now she couldn’t deny that the legend had a pull for her.

“Will someone explain this to me?”James whined. “I’d like to keep up here.” Xalvador groaned and turned to him.

“Have you heard of the Painted Sea and the Dismal Swamps? Well, beyond that there’s some place where one can find this gear. It’s said to be made by all the heathen gods, forge from dragons teeth, as the Captain Blackbeard said, its rumored to grant the heart’s greatest desire. There it is, now, hush!”

“Now hush!” James mocked quietly. Carrigan laughed and said, “Actually it’s suppose to be made from the teeth of the Great Betrayers;  Angels and Demons alike who conspired against the heathen gods. Regardless, I doubt any of it is true, since there is no proof of the Painted Sea or anything that might lie beyond there.” She looked at Edward. “I didn’t think you were so taking with fairytales.”

“Well,” Blackbeard said, straightening his hat. “I’m going after the thing either way, just wanted some friendly competition that’s all. And I figured you’d want the chance to prove your salt, but if you…have no, um desire to-“

“Shut up.” Carrigan said, “I never said I wouldn’t do it, just that it’s quite foolish.”

“So?”

“So?”

“What’s your answer?”

“I suppose after I’ve had time gathering a proper crew, there’s no reason to not accept.” Blackbeard nodded. He needed a bit of time to round up a proper map, one that included the Painted Sea, anyway. “I need sometime myself, say, a fortnight we meet back here?”