The Red Barn

•Chapter Two•

Stupid idiot, can't take a hint, not thinking before I speak!

I yelled at myself as I stomped along the sidewalk, kicking a pebble into the street as it skittered across the concrete, jumping the curb on the other side as it leaped into the grass.

Tears blurred my vision as I continued on my way, every so often kicking a pebble that was there at the wrong place, at a very wrong time.

After walking for some time, my anger, instead of slowly evaporating away, seemed to grow by the minute.

In split-second thinking, I changed course and headed for my art studio through the Edgewood Forest. By now I was out of town, walking along a quiet dirt road as I crossed it, beginning to walk through the forest.

The trees shivered above my head as a wind blew through the forest, making every single sound make me jump. Calm down, Fey!

At last, after many shrieks of terror and sudden bursts of running energy, I made it to my studio.

It was a little abandoned barn, its red paint chipping and peeling away, with several shingles missing, as the roof sagged in one place.

"It'll do, but we must do something about the color. I mean, what is this, the eighteenth century?" My uncle had said, making me chuckle at the time.

"Why did you leave me?!" I shouted to the red barn. "First Dad went, then Mom left and now YOU! Why did you leave me? Why did you leave me and Rosalind? Why did you leave US?!" I screeched, running to the barn door as I yanked it open, its hinges protesting loudly.

I froze when I saw everything just as it was before.

The sketches.

The paints.

The... paintings.

I gasped as a thousand memories flooded my mind, overpowering me with grief.

"No, not today, I can't do this today." I told the barn, shutting the light off as I closed the door, beginning to make my way quickly back towards the road.