Chapter 7

Draco's POV

She asked me what was wrong. I choked through my thick tears,  

"I made the Unbreakable Vow." She let out a huge gasp, hugging me again, before asking,  

"For what?" The next words that came out were the most painful i'd ever said.  

"To rid you... Of me." i replied.  

Tears sprang to her eyes just as quickly as mine had. I assumed she thought i meant death, but i didn't.  

"I have to make you forget me. Completely." it looked like she understood, because she got up, pushed me off, & backed away.  

"No." She had one hand up, the other reaching into her robes to pull out her wand. "I will NOT forget you. I've seen what it's done to my parents, i WON'T." the tears now rolled down her face & onto the ground, & she couldn't control them. I raised my own wand & pointed it at her.  

"Hermione, let me do this. I have to. They'll kill you."  

"NO!" She cried. Her face showed so much discomfort i couldn't help but look away.  

"Please. I have to do this, Hermione. I have to protect you!" i slowly turned my head back and faced her. "I love you." She looked at me with the beautiful scarlet-brown eyes i knew & loved. She dropped her wand, running towards me & throwing her arms around my neck, embracing me in our last hug, & sobbing into the crook of my neck.  

"I love you too, Draco." she gasped. She let go, backed away, lay down in the soft grass, & closed her eyes. My eyes filled with tears & i turned away before whispering,  

"I'm sorry, Hermione. Obliviate." i turned & watched a soft pink glow erupt from my wand, & she relaxed, while her eyes stayed closed, & i headed to the Great Hall, wiping my face, leaving her to sleep peacefully beside the lake. 

__________________________

Hermione's POV

I woke up by the Black Lake, feeling dizzy. Where was Harry? More importantly, where was Ron? I didn't remember much of what happened that day... Come to think of it, as tracked back & back & back in my head... Nearly a whole FOURTH of my memory was gone.  

I felt a small itch on the upside of my left arm, so i looked at it. What WAS this? A scar. That read... Mudblood... Where did i get this? When? How? I had so many questions about it. I tried to remember, as it was one of the memories i had lost. A bit of it came up... A knife, blood... Ron's yells for me. My cries for help, how weak i'd become...  

But something seemed to be missing. Who held the knife? And i remember looking up at someone, pleading for help... But who? I got up from the grass & headed to the castle. I saw Ron & Harry & many of my other friends scattered around the room & smiled broadly.  

On the way to the Gryffindor table, i ran right into a tall boy who'd just finished talking to Harry & Ron. He looked around our year, with slick white-blond hair. I looked at his robes. Slytherin. Well, no reason not to try, right? I stuck out my hand, grinning.  

"Hermione Jean Granger. I haven't seen you before, i don't think. You new?" he didn't reply, & raised his hand as well. I looked into his eyes & saw a deep sorrow, like he had lost a dear friend. He looked at me with great longing, as though i was the one he'd lost. Slowly, he took my hand & shook it lightly. A sudden surge went through me, as if i had my nerves were racked by something extremely exciting. A sudden jolt. A feeling. Just a little like falling in love. A memory...  

"Draco Malfoy." the boy said, & he walked away.