Chapter Two: Does She Even Exist?

The next morning I rolled out of bed at 11:30 and realized it was my birthday. I was 18. Finally! Today I got to see April! I got dressed so fast that I was still struggling to get my pants on as I hopped over to the bathroom. I was brushing my teeth furiously, and then I made sure I looked awake before going downstairs. My parents were down there, and my mom hugged me and told me happy birthday. I thanked her and then looked at the clock. My flight left at 1, so I should probably go now. I got up and told my mom I was going to the gas station, and she surprisingly believed me. I got my keys and made sure my suitcases were still in my car before pulling out of the driveway. My airline ticket was in my pocket, and I didn't even care what happened to my car when I left it at the parking lot in the airport.

When I got to the airport I got out and went inside. I had to go through security and wait in a bunch of lines and everything, so by the time I was right outside the door to the airplane, it was time to board it. I think a permanent grin was on my face, and nothing was dampening my mood today. I sat in a vacant window seat and watched as we took off. Goodbye Virginia, hello California.  

***

The flight was long, and I was impatient, which made it worse. When we FINALLY landed, I was about to burst with excitement. When we were out of the plane, I got my luggage and then went outside, blinded by the light. When I blinked and squinted my eyes, I was able to call a taxi. I put my stuff in the trunk and then climbed in the backseat, telling the driver where I wanted to go. He gave me a weird look when I told him the address, but I decided to ignore it.

About 20 minutes later, we were pulling up in front of the house that April had told me she lived in.

"You sure this is the place, kid?" He asked gruffly. I just nodded, but I wasn't so sure myself. The grass in the yard was extremely long, there was moss growing up the side of the house, the pain on the shutters were peeling, and the house looked like it hadn't been lived in for a very long time. I looked at the two houses next door, and they were in perfect shape. Maybe she lived in one of those houses. The house in front of me right now though, had no cars parked there. I got out of the car and got my luggage, looking like an idiot, just standing there in front of an abandoned house with four suitcases in my hand. I walked up to the front door and knocked anyway. The sound echoed through the old house, but no one answered the door. I frowned. She had to live somewhere next door. I left my luggage on the front doorstep and then jogged over to the house next door, ringing the doorbell. A young lady, about 24, answered the door with a smile.

"If you're selling anything, we're not interested." She said kindly.

"Oh no, I was just wondering if an April Jenkins lived here?" I asked.

"Oh, an April Jenkins... Hmm I haven't heard of her, and she doesn't live here." The lady said.

"Oh. Before I flew down here, she gave me the address to the house next door, but I knocked on the door and there was no answer so I though there was some mistake..." I said, trailing off.

"Honey, no one has lived in that house for years. And I've never heard of an April Jenkins living in this neighborhood. Are you sure she exists?" The lady asked. I frowned.

"She definitely exists. Sorry for wasting your time, I guess I'll look somewhere else." I said.

"Okay." The lady said, shutting the door. I went over to the house on the other side of the abandoned house and rang their doorbell. I got the exact same result as the other house. They had never heard of April Jenkins, and no one had lived in that house for years. I was confused. I put my suitcases under a bush in front of the house that I had thought was April's, and then I walked out of the neighborhood and called another taxi. This time I told him to take me to the police station, and when he dropped me off I marched, almost angrily, into the station.

There was a guy at the front desk, and I told him I wanted to ask him a very important question. It seemed like he was already "busy" with eating, so I growled and waited impatiently for him to finish. When he was finally done, he looked up at me in a bored way.

"What is it?" He asked.

"I came to L.A looking for my friend April Jenkins and she wasn't in the house she told me she lived in. No one in the neighborhood said they knew her, so I would like you to please pull up her records and tell me where she is." I said.

"Well it's against the rules for me to tell you where she lives, but I can tell you if she lives in L.A..." He said, going on his computer. A few seconds later, he looked up at me.

"Sir, April Jenkins and her family have never been to L.A. They still live in Virginia."

"What?!"