Unexpectedly Together

(Aphrodite POV)

After staying with Athena for a couple of days I went back to mount Olympus. Thank goodness Poseidon wasn't there glaring with his poison eyes.
"Father." I called for him as I entered the throne room. To my surprise, Hades stood there conversing with Zeus.
"Aphrodite? You're back earlier than expected?" Zeus forced a smile.
"Ah, there are some matters I want to discuss with you." I looked at Hades and then around the room wondering where Ares was.
"I'll take my leave." Hades said and left without a second glance.
"Why was Hades here?"
"Nothing more than a simple deal?" Zeus began to pace back and forth
"A deal?"
"He knows of Hephaestus and wants someone to alter his staff."

"I thought you disliked Hades? After what he had to say at the last summit that is?"
Zeus stopped pacing and looked up.
"I could never fully hate my brother, but there are some things... we just don't agree with."
I was surprised that my father was speaking well of Hades. I wonder if I'm the only one who knows about this?

"So I pressume you've come to discuss the happenings of the Trojan war?"
"How do you know?"
"I cannot tell you." As soon as he said that, Hermes instantly came to mind. Who else would Zeus trust if it were not his favorite messenger god.

"You caused a big rukus."
"Yes, I admit it was undoubtedly my fault, but the good side is winning, so what does it matter?"

"Well, I guess Hephaestus is back home?"
I sat down on the near by sofa and looked up at Zeus. He smiled slightly, then glanced at me.
"Why do you smile?"
"My informant has also told me of your teamwork with Hephaestus."
"What teamwork? All we did was have a simple small talk and just agreed on various things."

"Are you tired of being lusted after Aphrodite?"

"Who wouldn't be father. I mean it's not a very comfortable feeling." Although, in the past I didn't mind the attention.

"Actually, I don't agree with you."

"I know you don't." Of course, because he has countless of women having his children day in and day out.

"Why not we make a deal?"
"A deal?"
"I believe it's best if my daughter not become a man's, how should I say this...play thing. Both Hera and I agree."
"You're a little too late to be making that sort of conviction. It's been centuries since I've been taken in by you and I'm already used to the god's filthy thoughts."

"Hephaestus..."
"What about him?"
"He seems to be perfect."
"Perfect?"
"He's new to the god realm and who else would be better as to teach him how to function."
"I'm confused?"
"What I'm saying is, Hephaestus is a strong god and...ugly, but he can protect you."
"What are you saying?"
"Marry him."
"Are you mad father!?"
"Hera and I already discussed it. This is also her gift to Hephaestus."
"Should I trouble myself over what Hera thinks? She threw him off a mountain for heavens sake."
"Oh Aphrodite, don't act as if you have never committed a sin. I have half a mind to expose Eros to the gods."
Zeus smiled then continued to pace back and forth.
Yes, I know at one point I let my desires take control of me causing a child to be born. But, I would not let father cause trouble to Eros, for he has done nothing wrong.

"Why me? Why not Athena or Hestia? "

"Athena is a warrior and does not plan to marry and Hestia has her own problems. You are the only one who does nothing all day except when necessary."

"Am I that unproductive?"
"Also, we both agree that the men will rid you from their minds."
Zeus stopped and looked at me straight in the eyes, "Unless you want me to grant Poseidon's wish and let him have you?"

"Its just going to be one threat after another is it not?"
Zeus ignored my question, but I knew that meant yes. "Fine, Zeus. I will marry Hephaestus and commute with you secretly."

"That is why you are my favorite daughter." Zeus brightened up and called for Hermes who was close by.
He told him to send a message to Hephaestus with haste. I glared at Hermes while following him out the door.

"Hermes, you don't have to do this. What I mean is, always run to fathers rescue when he wants something done. I know you aren't like this." He stopped at the stairs leading down Mount Olympus.

"Same goes to you...You didn't even tell Ares about his own son...or me..." Hermes blinked his big orange eyes and frowned. "You have your own reasons for listening to father and I have mine." Hermes flew away without a second glance making me wonder...was father blackmailing him as well and with what?

(Hephaestus POV)

I sighed and sat down against the wall near the edge of the drop. The heat that I was used to, grazed my skin making me sweat. I wanted no disruption from any outside annoyances, but of course, my wish didn't come true.
I heard creaking sounds from the entrance and around the corner came Hermes. I stood up slowly and walked towards the small god.
"Thetis told you where I was?"
"Yes..."
"Well? What hinders you?"
Hermes transpired a miniature note that flew towards me and burst into a million golden pieces. Zeus's voice came to and I listened quietly.

"Hephaestus, who I see as my own son, I ask that you take a breathe and mourn over your lost sibling. I will personally make sure Hades guides his soul safely into the underworld so Akhilleus can rest easy. You, who have given me so many gifts already, Hera and I want to give you something in return..."

I widened my eyes at the last sentence he spoke then sneered at Hermes.
"Is this a hoax?!"
"No. Father is very sincere especially in matters like this."
"Too marry Aphrodite....did she agree to this?"
Hermes hesitated to answer then smiled brightly.
"She feels honored to marry someone of your stature. And since you both have already been acquainted, it will be simple to fall in love won't it?"

I could tell Hermes has never had a lover before, but who am I to judge I've never had one either.
"Two sunrises from now, we will meet on Mount Olympus and the exchange will take place." Hermes smiled once again then walked away. I watched as he went around the corner and out the door thinking that he was acting different from the other times I've met him. To be more precise, his attitude was extremely fake...
I ignored the matter then turned around to look back over the fire pit.
"So anticlimactic." Do I really have to take this offer, I thought? Not that it is a bad one. Actually, I'm quite excited to have the most beautiful women to ever roam the earth at my side. Smiling to myself, I left the work room of my volcano and went to inform Thetis of the news.