Chapter - One

Ganta's POV.

Ganta walked down the corridor with a sigh. He was about to go to another Carnival Corpse. Apparently, this was his opponents first match. Butterfly, he thought, I wonder how strong you are.

As Ganta entered the arena, he was greeted by a girl. She had short brown hair, and piercing blue eyes. She was wearing jean shorts, and a low-neck shirt with kimono-like sleeves. She walked up to him, then smiled sadly.

"Hello, I am Ishi Ima, also known as 'Butterfly'. You must be Ganta Igarashi, my opponent in this battle, and otherwise known as 'Woodpecker'?"

Ganta nodded, smiling to the girl. He held out his hand. "Yeah, that is me. Try your best, alright?" He said. The girl known now not as 'Butterfly' but as 'Ishi' took his hand and shook it, before dropping her hand back to her side. "I am afraid that I can't," She stated, and Ganta waited, wondering if she would say more. When she didn't, however, he opened his mouth to speak. Ganta was interrupted, however. By the announcer.

"Alright, get ready! Butterfly, our new Branch of Sin, against Woodpecker! Go!"

 Ishi backed away from Ganta, getting into a fighting position. In one swift move she was behind Ganta, and a pocket knife was at his neck. "Don't worry, we just have to put on a show for them... Ganta Igarashi, you will win this Carnival Corpse."

---

Ishi and Ganta had been fighting for about half an hour, and neither was hurt much. Ganta had a few cuts and scraps, and so did Ishi. Ganta had to admit, for simply 'putting on a show', Ishi was good. He was glad that she was not going all out on him.

At the moment, Ganta was at one side of the arena and Ishi was on the other. But Ishi changed that quickly, charging at him. Ganta dodged, and when Ishi passed him she whispered to him. "Finish me."

He looked at her with wide eyes. Did she want him to kill her? What did she mean by 'finish me'? Ishi could see the confusion, and smiled warmly to him. "Oh Woodpecker," She cooed, slowly walking to him. He took a step back on pure reflex.

He knew that she did not want to hurt him. Or did he? He had thought that Minatsuki was on his side, but she ended up almost killing Yō. Could he really trust Ishi? Ganta got ready to fight, and Ishi stopped in her peruse to walk toward Ganta. Her sweet smile faded, and she was looking at him with wide eyes. It was her turn to show confusion.

But it didn't last long. In a matter of seconds, she was behind him. "Ganta, I want you to hurt me. I know of the twisted things they do to the loser of this show, and I don't want that to happen to you," She explained. Ganta felt a pang in his heart. This stranger was willing to go threw that punishment so he didn't have to. And he doubted her.

"But... You'll have to go threw the punishment then, and-" Ishi cut him off. "It's fine, don't worry. I'll be fine."

She sounded so sure. She sounded like she knew what she was doing. "Ganta, can I come by your room after the Carnival Corpse is over with?" She whispered. "Y-yes," he answered with a slight nod.

"Ooh~ A stand off! Will Butterfly slit Woodpeckers throat and win the game?" The announcer asked the sick, anonymous crowed that watched Ishi and Ganta's every move. Ishi moved her hand, taking a few steps back. The crowed whispered amongst themselves, wondering why she didn't finish Ganta off when she had the chance.  

Ganta watched as Ishi backed up, then, when she gave a nod, he charged at her. Ganta bit into his finger, then used the blood that he drew to shoot at Ishi. He made sure that it was a weak hit, and Ishi allowed it to hit her, then jumped back to make it look like she went flying due to the 'powerful' blow.