Chapter Twenty Eight

(A/N) As promised, one chapter each day starting from today :D

~~~~

Back at the train, Evie was reading a letter in scribbled handwriting. She looked at it with a concentrated look on her face. Her fingers were tracing over the letters again and again, seemingly like she was trying to recall whether she had seen them before.

"What have we here?" Jacob asked, snatching the paper from his sister's very hands. He began to read through it.

"A job for you, Jacob. You and Carina, if she wishes to aid you."

"So this Plutus is Starrick's banker, hmm? I wager Dredge will lead me to him."

"While you're out and about, do attempt not to destroy modern medicine or the London transport network." I giggled slightly at Evie's comment. Jacob hit my arm gently.

"Don't make me laugh."

"Innocent lives hang in the balance." Evie turned serious. "They depend on this city."

"I'm not the one who let Lucy Thorne walk away."

"A mistake I intend to rectify immediately." She huffed, barging past her brother and she jumped from the moving train onto the tracks. I turned to Jacob and growled.

"You are so rude."

"How?! She did let Miss Thorne walk away unharmed."

"And she feels bad about that. If you carry on like this, you could lose contact with your only sister." I jabbed his chest with the back end of my pistol. "Now, we had better get to work. That way, we can get back into Evie's good books by finishing our mission early and perhaps we can sort out dinner for her."

"No, no. You aren't coming with me on this mission."

"Why?" He smirked and pulled me closer to him by my waist.

"I'm no good at book work. You are. That's what you can do while I am on my mission." He gave a gentle peck to my forehead. "That will give us a boost into her good books."

"I am not staying here while you have all of the fun." I reached up onto my tiptoes and kissed his lips gently. "Now then, how about you tell me your plans for the mission and I tag along with you? How about we tackle this as a couple?" I bit my lip, running my fingers up and down the side of Jacob's neck with a soft, delicate touch. He smirked, seemingly giving in to my charms.

"Agnes!" Jacob called. I groaned at him, then snaked out of his grip. Agnes quickly entered the carriage we were in with a smile. "I need you to look after Carina here. She is not to leave this train or your sight for even a mere moment. She has a lot of book work." He began digging around in a small chest which was filled with books and writing materials. He took out six of the books, filled from cover to cover with information on assassin history. With a smack, they dropped onto the dining table, knocking a pencil away with the thud. "Make sure she gets at least half of this finished. Three books, summarised into notes. Did you hear that, Miss Faraday?" I sighed with a nod. "Alright." He tenderly kissed my lips, having to bend down to my height. "Stay out of trouble. I will be back in around three hours." With a small salute, he was out of the train.