Jordan 2023

"Tell me again",the voice in the dark whispered.
"I had a friend once." I say, stifling words through the fear of what lived inside of the darkness, what fed on my stories each night.
"She has gorgeous blue eyes and lips a rosy red."
A whisper arose as in multiple voices, "fine, fine"
"She used to be my best of friends. We'd lay on the beach, and in the park and watched the clouds, she was very... Deep. She had such profound thoughts I could listen to her tell me about how she thought life worked for hours. One day she was telling me how everything happens for a reason, how sometimes that person you happen to met might not be chance. How alliances can be made by breathing the same air, not by thinking the same thoughts."
"Tis what ours is." The voice speaks as if it's rust itself.
"Of course,but... I thought one day she would love to know just how true it was..."
"Did I scare her badly?" The voice chokes.
"I-I don't know. She won't...talk not to me... Not to anyone but her three other friends... And then durning  school, and home. She cooperates with who she needs to talk to, but nothing more. I am if forgotten."
"Then, so she." The voice screeches.
"Forget those blue eyes? Never!"
"But you must, trust me." How was I to trust a voice in the dark, someone I had never really seen, he lived in my closet. A long time ago I only heard the screech from inside and a cripple hand that reached out and pushed me away.
"I only need one friend. The rest are just for me to do as told. You can be my one friend, or you can be the first I kill."
"You are my friend." I whisper.
It was a relationship out of fear. Afraid he'd kill me in my sleep. Then months past, and he insisted he never hurt a soul. He taught me things In life I never knew and read people's minds in such away he helped me overcome my worst enemies. Now as I lay in bed I think to myself, the voice in the closet is my best friend.
"Yes, Jordan." It says.
Maybe it was a mistake he got here.
But all the little mistakes make the best accidents.
That's what she used to say.