Chapter 1

Sick of crying,
Tired of trying,
Yes I'm smiling but inside I'm dying.

~

================
~Arlo's pov~

"Wake up fag." I was abruptly awaken by someone forcefully shaking my shoulder. I opened my eyes to see my older brother, Leighton, staring at me in disgust. "Hurry up or we're going to be late." He seethed before shaking his head and turning away.

Beilieve it or not, we used to be really close. As close as brothers could be. Then you say a few words and things turn to shit.

My chest pained at the memory of us. Making me want to not go to school, but I got up anyways. I walked to the bathroom that was connected to my room and stripped down to nothing. I turned the water on and let it heat up.

"You're a disgrace!" My mother yelled.

"Is this for attention?!" My dad asked furiously. I shook my head as tears ran down my race.

"That is a sin Arlo! Do you know what's going to happen now?!" I cried harder.

"Please! I'm still the same Arlo! Nothing about me changed!" I begged and pleaded them to understand.

"What's going on?" Leighton asked as he walked into the room we were in.

"Your brother just told us he was gay!" My mother said hysterically. I looked over at Leighton with pleading eyes hoping he would understand. His mouth was open. He snapped his head towards me.

"He's not my brother." My heart broke at his words.

Not him too- I thought as I hung my head in shame. The tears fell faster. I never thought my own brother would treat me like this. It just doesn't seem real.

"Arlo! What the hell?! Hurry up!" Leighton screamed from outside my bathroom door. I sighed and turned the water off and exited the shower. I wrapped a towel around my waist and walked out.

I walked over to my dresser and out on my usual attire. Long sleeves to hide the scars and pants to hide the rest. It didn't even matter that it was in the hundreds outside. All that mattered was that no one saw them.

I walked downstairs and grabbed a granola bar from the cupboards and walked outside and to the bus.

As I passed I saw my brother getting into his car. My brother never took me to school. He was embarrassed by me. It always hurt me to see him avoid me like the plague.

I climbed onto the bus and took the seat closest to the door. I never made eye contact with anyone, never talked to anyone.

'Act like you're invisible until you really are.' I tell myself.

'Keep your head down. Don't show weakness. They feed off it.'

The bus pulled up in front of the hellhole I call my school all too soon. As soon as the bus stopped completely and the doors popped open I was off the bus in no time. I didn't want to waist another second getting stared at by people. With their judging eyes and whispering lies.

I can hear people snickering at me as I walk towards the big building of West Ward High.

I kept my head down as I gripped my bag straps closer to me. My knuckles turning white with how hard I gripped the black bag.

"I heard Arlo is related to Leighton." A girl whispered as I passed by.

This isn't good- I frantically worried mentally. If Leighton finds out that people know then he'll hate me even more. It hurts just thinking about it. I still kept my head down and headed towards my locker. I put my combination into the pale blue metal tin-can.