Eleven

The sun roused Louis from sleep. Light shone through the tent flap, casting yellow beams over his cheeks. Banging of pots and Anna's enthusiastic shouts prevented him from falling back to sleep. Blinking groggily, Louis turned his head to look at the snoring lump curled up on the other side of the tent. A smile tugged at his lips.

The melodic sound of Harry's breathing made Louis ache with the urge to gather him in his arms. He remembered the way Harry shivered during the night after they fucked weeks ago. He had nuzzled closer; tucked his head into Louis' neck and sought out his warmth in the freezing kitchen. Louis yearned for that again.

He eased out of his sleeping bag and shivered. Goose bumps broke out on his bare arms when his skin became exposed to the cool air. Louis reached for his jacket and shrugged it on. He zipped it to his chin and flicked the hood up.

Slipping into his boots, Louis cast another glance at Harry. His lips were parted, soft snuffling sounds coming from his mouth. Bare skin poked out from his sleeping bag, and Louis' eyebrows furrowed. Harry's shirt lay forgotten on the tent floor. His lack of proper clothing caused him to shiver, and his lips began to turn blue. If he remained this way for any longer he would surely get sick.

Louis wrestled to free his blanket from his sleeping bag. He draped it over Harry, tucking the corners in gently, careful not to wake him. Harry made a disgruntled noise and rolled onto his side. Louis swooned.

He zipped the tent on his way out. The smell of cooking food hit his nose and he walked towards the picnic bench, where Zayn and Anna had a portable stove set up, cooking pancakes and bacon. Niall sat nearby, drinking from a mug of coffee. Loud snores coming from his tent told Louis Nick was still asleep.

"Good morning," Anna said cheerfully. "The kettle is still hot if you want some coffee."

"Thanks."

"Harry still sleeping?" Niall asked.

"Yeah," Louis answered. "He stayed up late last night. His phone kept me up."

Zayn and Anna exchanged a smug look that Louis didn't catch.

"We were thinking of going skating today," Zayn said as Louis poured boiling water into a mug. "Anna and I checked out the lake this morning. It's completely frozen, so no one's gonna die."

Louis pretended to look upset. "Damn it. I was going to suggest throwing Nick in and letting him freeze."

Zayn sighed. "Louis—"

"I know, I know. I need to be nicer," Louis said. He sat in the chair beside Niall. Hot liquid sloshed around in his mug. A fair amount spilled over and burned him on the thigh. Louis swore and dropped his mug on the ground.

"Here." Anna passed him a wad of paper towel so he could dry his pants.

Zayn flipped the pancakes onto a plate and passed it to Anna. She set it down on the picnic table and quickly turned to collect the plate of bacon. A pot of hot chocolate simmered on one of the burners. The sweet smell wafted in Louis' direction, causing his mouth to water.

"Can someone wake up Harry and Nick?" Zayn asked.

A quick glance at Zayn told Louis he meant business. But Louis was ever the arguer, and he crossed his arms haughtily.

"Niall can wake up Nick," he said. "I'll get Harry."

Zayn went to speak, but Anna placed her small palm on his chest. She gave him a serious look, using her eyes to tell him to be calm.

"That's fine," she said, obviously trying to spare an argument. "Zayn and I will get the table set up while you do that."

Niall sighed, too comfy to move. As he forced himself to stand, Louis headed towards the tent where Harry slept. Snowflakes dusted his cheeks, leaving water droplets on his skin as they melted.