Chapter 1

A Little Bit of Ourselves

[Reaeth's POV]

Staring at my computer screen for two hours and a half, half-tempted to go and take a nap, but trying to stay awake drinking loads of coffee, I am looking for that item. I must find it.

I know Mom and Dad would disapprove of it, but what matter is reaching the goal. I need to get it, before someone else does so. I frantically click the button which says Buy it! and then wait. Then, I patiently and slowly write down the required data: name, surname, email, phone number and credit card number. When done, I wait again. At last, a message: Congratulations Reaeth P! You have just bought a rare sample of the new cover model for the Samsung Galaxy S6! Your delivery will reach the destination in a few days.

Oh... The amazingly reliable Amazon.com service! I am feeling like I want to yell my feelings out at the entire world.

But now, bed time. It's 11.47pm and I don't want Mom to come to my room and say "Reaeth, darling, bed time!" or similar stuff. I am no longer a child! I am 21!

Yeah, being an adult rocks.

[Kevin's POV]

"Casey! You've just got an e-mail!" I yell back at my bad-tempered half-brother. To be honest, I don't get along with him that much. Not only is he bad-tempered, but he is also overbearing and quite full of himself.

"Casey! Are you coming? You've just got an e-mail," I repeat, "from Amazon!"

He rushes to his beloved study, where I currently am, and frantically sits at the computer. Then, I leave, knowing that he doesn't like anyone to be in the same place as him when he is doing some important stuff, such as checking mail and resuming work. He is such meticulous... and picky. This is why Mason, Heath, Yates and I try to avoid his presence as much as possible.

Suddenly, my thoughts are distracted when I hear Casey shouting, "What? Has someone got that amazing phone cover before me?"

"Huh," comments Yates, who passes next to me. "When it comes to getting everything, nobody ever got anything before him!" She laughs loudly, which is proof that she finds it fun.

Then, Heath and Mason also reach us and laugh, as well. Mason says, "Casey got mad once again, didn't he? Maybe it is because of that Japanese chick..."

"That Japanese chick has a name," I frown. "Asaka Ishii."

"Sorry... I just forgot it," he justifies himself, blushing and laughing like an idiot.

"Yeah, when it comes to Casey's chicks... well... there's way too much to forget!" comments again Yates. But it seems as her comment is inappropriate and rude, because Casey is now standing next to us. His face is red and his killer glare is quickly erasing the smile on my siblings' face. I don't know if what made him the angriest was Mason's comment about Asaka or his anger about him not getting that extremely rare cover for his cellphone. What do you expect from him? He is just an overspoiled, bored 19-year-old. But I can't blame his bad temper on his age. That would be silly.

The next day

[Reaeth's POV]

"Reaeth, you are in trouble. Kevin has just told me his half-brother threw a tantrum because Amazon has run out of phone covers for the S6! Now, he is willing to kill whoever bought the cover. Get ready, Reaeth. You will be busted, and dead!
Thomas Daugherty"

To be honest, Thomas' message makes me laugh. What he's saying is silly. I know him and Nina, the three of us have been friends since freshman year at college. So, I don't know what the fuck is talking about. And I also wonder why Kevin Drentlaw cannot defend himself from his spoiled half-brother, Casey Drentlaw-McBurnett.

The truth is, Casey might come from an influent family, but, come on, I am Reaeth B. Pogliano! My family are so well-known in town that, if anyone declares to never have even heard of us, they are considered outcasts. But, after all, who would be thrilled to be part of a family that have, in order, a half-blind father (he had a terrible accident during work, and now he's half-blind, half-crippled and therefore unable to work), an obsessed mother, two estranged older sisters and two others (including me) that could be worth of being outcasts - my 14-year-old sister is currently pregnant, whereas I have CP and have to use a wheelchair. Basically, I have spent the first 21 years and 3/4 on a wheelchair, but don't think of me as a poor crippled girl who is unable to completely move. There is a thing called physiotherapy that helps people like me to actually move at least half of the body. Still, people's opinions of me are divergent. Half of them hate me: maybe they disapprove of me using the social networks, including the aforementioned Casey, who believes disabled people shouldn't even be on the Internet. The other half, which includes Thomas and Nina, and most of my family, on the other hand greatly respect me and treat me quite well.

But let's talk about the message. I need to answer, because, after all, they are good friends and deserve to be treated well.

It may be something like this:
"Dear Thomas, I want to help you badly. In fact, I have an idea..."

No, no, no. This is too trivial. I need to try something more original and quirky.

But, at the end, I manage to pull out something like this:
"Ok, Thomas, I understand that you want to help Kevin, but shouldn't Kevin himself ask me directly for help? It would be easier and more useful.
Thank you for having told me, though.
Yours, Reaeth"

Well, I didn't tell him it was me who bought the freaking cover, because I have a plan: I want to talk directly to Kevin and Casey and sort things out once for all. After all, a little bit of discussion is not bad. So, I decide to leave a message for Kevin: "Let's meet at your place. I'll explain everything later. It's URGENT!!"

I hope he will answer as soon as possible, before Casey could check Amazon and think the one who got that item is a fucking crippled girl. No, no, no. Reaeth, it's high time to intervene!

Continues on the next chapter