Chapter 3

Life Choices

Leeann and Birdy seem uninterested in looking for a job. Their brother, R.J., is worried that they might not find their place in the world.

[R.J's POV]

"This shitty town!" I hear Birdy screaming on the top of her lungs. "What fucking job opportunities can you find here?"

"Just dedicate and find one you like!" I suggest, exasperated. The bottom line with Birdy is that she's lazy and hates working. Well, I don't care. She and Leeann need to move their asses and start getting and doing a job, before it is too late.

But they, especially Leeann, are too stubborn and too unwilling to change their mind. How the fuck can I inspire them to get one? I can't threaten them. If I threaten them, they will surely run away and even discredit me, saying I am too overbearing.

I decide to give up the job matter and check the Internet instead. I haven't posted anything on Facebook for... maybe... ages? In that case, I should shame on myself. My friends (if they should be considered friends) would definitely tell me I am neglecting my social life, but, to be honest, I am getting fed up with social networking. Real-life relationships are better.

But, hey, here comes a striking post from that wicked genius of Reaeth Pogliano. Again, she turned a spin on the usual stuff making it such deep and meaningful that it could be mistaken for a quote from a book.

Here it is: "Real life is made of good relationships and bad relationships. The one I have with Casey Drentlaw-McBurnett is definitely a bad one, and the fault is mostly mine. Mine because I am prejudiced toward him. Mine because I ill-treated him. And mine because I didn't take his feelings into account. Everyone depicts him as a spoiled, authoritative and overbearing 19-year-old work-a-holic, but neglect his feelings. I know he has plenty of those, but is forced to hide him under the 'golden boy' mask. It doesn't suit him, though."

This is definitely making me think of my approach to either Leeann or Birdy. I am forcing them, and this is not correct. I should push them into making the right decision themselves.

[Belkis' POV]

Sitting at the table, I am slowly having my overportioned meal. Beulah is sitting next to me, whereas Catela is opposite me. The latter is blatantly showing off the dreadful show of herself chewing gum, and is making such an irritating noise that I wish I could punch her fucking throat. "Can you stop it, please?" I tell her off.

Though, she just ignores me and keeps chewing her stupid gum. "Stop it!" I repeat, exasperated. But Catela, after seeing me frowning, decides she has had enough and shouts, "Who the fuck do you think you are to tell me the fuck off? You're not Mom! So stop behaving like the perfect girl, 'cause you aren't! I wish I had a fucking magic wand so that all of you bitches could disappear!"

She storms off us upstairs and slams her room's door. Since that, I no longer see her for the remainder of the night. Beulah is still silent. I say, "Catela is pissed the fuck off." Nothing else.

Beulah scrolls her shoulders. "Huh."

"Had she ever read one of the quotes by Reaeth, she would have learnt to manage her anger issues."

"Reaeth who?" Beulah ignores who Reaeth actually is and her turning a blind eye is bothering me. I decide to give up the conversation and get ready for a long bath with bubbles.

Prejudice Hurts

The next day

[Reaeth's POV]

I have no clue of how to try to get along with Casey without hurting either Kevin or his brothers. I know they are all jealous of each other, but then I rethink of what Yates told me yesterday: Casey is not bad, and, if I don't prove any sort of prejudice wrong, then how can I convince him to get along with other people?

The truth is, I don't know. Whether he lost a friend or the love of his life, Casey must be sad, if not depressed. He is always short-tempered or very blue, which is a pity, considering that he seems like he is actually pretty interesting. But why, why the fuck do people have to ill-treat him? Maybe is this why he poorly treats his loved ones?

I must find it out. But how? The more time passes, the worst. So much time has passed with no certain answers, and this may just be enough to piss somebody else off.

Or maybe, at least when I hear someone saying "hello". Then, I hear another greeting, and this time I recognize Nina's voice. She has been in the surroundings all the time, and I didn't even recognize her! How embarrassing! Or, at least, according to anyone else. I am not just "anyone else." I am Reaeth.

"Reaeth Pogliano! Unless you have an amnesia, you should recognize your friends' voice!" she cheerfully scolds me. Then, she laughs.

Though, I think her voice is a little bit strange. She doesn't look friendly at all. What is going on with her?

"Nina, is everything Ok?" I ask her. She, at first, doesn't answer, but then smiles again at me. That smile looks so forced and unnatural. I don't like it, and I bet she is lying to me.

"Again, Nina, is everything Ok?" I insist. I must know what is going on with her.

"Nothing, nothing," she just answers, which worries me.

I give up asking again and just focus on her reaction. "I have to go," she says at last. Then, she leaves, much to my confusion. How come has she become such cold? I've never thought she would react like that.

I decide to go back to business and try looking for Casey. I know he is pissed off, but, unless I talk to him, he will never recover and accept the truth as it is.

However, I am quite surprised as suddenly Kevin passes me. He says "hello" and then asks me, "What time is it?"

I answer, "I don't know. And why do you want to know?"

"Casey left about one hour ago, but hasn't returned home yet. I don't know what he is doing, or if he's doing anything important. What matters is that he left without bringing his phone!" he blurts out frantically. He is sweating a lot, and I bet he must have run before meeting me.

"Hey, hey. Keep calm," I advise.

"Like this was easy! Reaeth, it's just your fault if he ran away, so it's you who has to fix things, without my help!"

I am pissed by his reaction. He's behaving like I didn't deserve his help and just deserve to be ill-treated. If so, he is hurting me. I don't want to argue with him for this, though. I have no time to waste for this stuff. If he wants me to find Casey all alone, then I will wheel myself all the town around. I don't need Kevin to boast my sense of guilt to make me suffer. So, I just mutter under my breath, "Fuck you," with an unconvinced tone and start leaving.

Continues on the next chapter