Chapter Five: Queen of England

"I... the name is...", muttered Anais in utter confusion.

It seemed that Lucille could solve the problem, as she replied for her sister instead when Anais was still confused and trying her best to conceal her anger: "She is called Adelaide, Your Majesty. I am her maiden, Oliva!"

Anais was much surprised as Lucille saved her by acting themselves as a young lady and her servant. At first, Anais didn't catch up what her sister was doing but right after she realised Lucille was saving them. Now this was a play which they must act and a battle which they must anticipate. Luckily for them, the King, neither Lord Macley knew that there was a survivor after they had the Spymaster's family annihilated. In Lord Macley's eyes, the previous royal advisor was a great threat both for him and his title, as well as the Royal. And in King Henry's eyes, even though Anaivere Plantagenet had died, the Rebels, especially the Knights, had taken the position of the leaders of the Rebellion, continued the deceased monarch's path. However, as Lord and Lady Timbley had been assassinated, their daughter became the most wanted person whom the Royal desired to get rid of for good. Anais remembered what Mother Maiseline had told her before; if they found out Anais was the survivor of the assassination, then both her and Lucille, another child whose parents were Rebels, were finished.

"Wouldst thou like to follow me as my queen, or stay in this pitiful town with those filthy peasants, Lady Adelaide?", King Henry offered his hand for Anais. For a moment, she thought the end was near.

"Wait, Your Majesty. If you marry me, then how about Her Majesty Queen Eleanor?", asked Anais as she hoped she could refuse King Henry's proposal.

"Eleanor is just a fourteen-year-old, I can have our marriage annulled whenever I please. Ours is just a political marriage, it could not be compared with a marriage by love. Accept my proposal, Lady Adelaide, and I will make thee Queen of England!"

Anais felt her spine shivering, and she stepped a step backward. Lucille put her hand on to Anais's shoulder, and whispered to calm her down:

"It's your decision and my strategy, we shall be with the opponent and attack them from inside. As a queen, you may have the influence on the Royal... henceforth we will gain the advantages..."

Anais heard what Lucille said, but, Lucille had made her strategy, then it was up to Anais's decision. She silently nodded.

"Your Majesty, marriage is the most important event in the lifetime of a woman. Please let me have some times to decide", replied Anais.

___________________________

That afternoon, when Anais returned with Lucille, they saw the minstrel Alan-a-Dale and his beloved lute, kneeling before the Altar in the grand hall and praying.

"Uncle Alan? I didn't know that you came...", called Lucille.

Alan-a-Dale heard the calling, he stopped praying and grabbed his lute, walked toward the two.

"Oh, so it's you two. Did you earn something interesting?"

"Ah, actually, I have something to discuss with Mother Maiseline...", said Anais.

She walked into the rosary room alone, then the outside heard a loud voice screamed "WHAT?!" of the abbess. Both Alan-a-Dale and Lucille wondered what was happening inside.

"There's no way we could retreat. This is destiny...!", shouted Mother Maiseline.

"I didn't know what to do, Mother! Lucille had made a strategy, but I could make a decision!", said Anais.

"Your decision is what matters now, my child. Or you become a queen, or you become a deceased!"

"What am I going to do?!", groaned Anais.