Alejo- Chapter 27

::CHAPTER 27::

Tonight I was driving in one of my nicer cars. Usually I went for something more inconspicuous, but on this night I had not a care in the world. I settled further into the midnight blue, Italian leather seats and relaxed my grip on the wheel. The sleek, two door luxury vehicle made heads turn and I liked that. I liked that people would watch and admire while I drove home with a body in the trunk. I chuckled at the thought.

I felt the usual tiny spark of joy I got from doing this. It was small enough to be negligible but I was so used to feeling nothing that anything was something.

I’d stopped off at eight places already, but no one there called to me. The frustrating thing about picking someone was that I had no idea what I was looking for. I had no preferences. It didn’t matter what age, gender, height, size, mental state, personality or general disposition the person had. I didn’t care if they were poor or rich, good looking or grotesque, mannerly or the most ungallant little shit in existence. I didn’t even take into account if they appeared to deserve it or not.

It was all about who called to me in the right moment.

No one was safe…and everyone was safe. There was no telling who would be harmed. I just knew. I always knew.

There wasn’t a particular place that I went either. I could go to a cemetery or nightclub or market place or a swank boutique. I’d just drive or walk until I felt like stopping somewhere. The choice had to be perfect.

The barber, the pet store, the pizza restaurant, the Irish pub, the strip club, alleyway market, the jewelry store and the church didn’t have what I needed. I’d even sat through half a service searching the congregation hoping for someone who had what I wanted. On the bright side, I’d gotten a few glasses of Rouge and a touch up on my haircut during the trip.

I didn’t give up though. I knew I’d find what I was looking for. Instead of frustration, I felt more determined. I would not go home empty handed. My collection deserved the dedication I was going to give it. It was worth the effort.

It was a few minutes later where I saw them. At first, my focus grazed over them. But it was at the second glance where I went on high alert. That’s them. For the first time, it wasn’t just one person who called to me. It was two. They were well dressed young adults who looked fit to go to a party. I remembered passing a house a while back and immediately knew where they were heading.

The house was filled with kids about their age. Young, drunken idiots, the lot of them. Even these two were stumbling along happily. Drinking before they even get there. I swallowed my disapproval and began reversing the car to meet up with them.

“Hey, you guys heading over to Jimmy’s party?” I called recalling the banner hanging at the front.

“Yeah. Are you?” the girl asked, “These heels are killing me.”

“I’ve heard they do that,” I smiled down at the six inch walking hazards that had nothing on what I’d do to her, “Jump in, I’ll give you a ride.”

“Thanks,” the guy said with a spark of interest in his gaze when he turned to me.

“No problem,” I flashed a smile.

I didn’t comment when the guy let his sister take the backseat and opted to shotgun. He wasn’t subtle about his sexuality in the least.

“Why were you driving away from the party?” he asked suddenly.

“Trying to find parking. There were so many cars there,” I griped.

“Damn, I bet. James knows everyone. How did you two meet up?”