Patched Caps and Sidesaddles

The walk back to the Williams's estate was longer than Adeline anticipated as the sun began its' decent to the horizon. Adeline guessed it might be three o'clock or near there. Early evening at the absolute latest.

Gardenia was anxiously pacing the gazebo floor when Adeline finally emerged from the forest, her legs weighed down by unanswered questions that spiraled through her mind; how could I have let Camilla elope with Lewis? Will I ever see them again? How will Father and Mother react?

"Addie! Dear God! Where have you been this entire time? No one can find Camilla or Lewis. Many people say," she paused to take a breath as Adeline ascended the gazebo's sagging steps, "some say that they have eloped. Do you really believe Camilla would go through with such a thing? I mean, of course she told us she was, but I never thought she would have the nerve to do it."

Adeline opened her mouth, contemplating whether to lie or tell the truth. If she did tell the truth, the couple would most likely be found because of the limited amount of churches in the city, nearly all the church attendees attended one specific church.

"I..."

"Addie, do you know where they went?" Gardenia's piercing eyes nearly made Adeline shiver. They were two deadly silver daggers, aimed right at her wall of strength.

She took a deep breath, attempting to calm her racing heart. "No, I do not."

Gardenia glared at her older sister, scrutinizing her face for any sign of weakness. "I believe you do."

"Gardenia!" Adeline exclaimed much too loudly, her false shock clearly heard. "How dare you say such an idiotic thing!"

"I am not the one lying for someone that stole my finance," her younger sister's face burned in her agitation. Adeline swallowed, busying herself with straightening up her scattered art supplies.

"Camilla," she said to a blue colored paint brush, "is my sister and I will stand by her no matter what circumstances occur."

Gardenia sighed in annoyance. "Will you even stand by her when she gets her heart destroyed? Did you at least warn her about Lewis's fickle nature?"

Adeline's head snapped up to stare at Gardenia in shock for saying such a frank thing. "Lewis is not fickle."

"That, is not what I observed this afternoon." Gardenia glared at her older sister.

"You, Miss, are overstepping your boundaries. I understand of course that you are wise beyond your years but that does not give you the right nor privilege to go and accuse people of something that they may or may not be."

"Why are you being so defensive? Why are you defending someone that hurt you? Why are denying Lewis's fickleness?"

Adeline sighed exasperatedly. "This conversation is not going in any direction whatsoever. Excuse me, I have a sister to search for." She brushed past Gardenia on her way down the gazebo steps.

"Addie-"

"What Gardenia?" Adeline snapped, glancing over her shoulder to glare at her younger sister.

"I was just going to say that I believe your searching will be cut short." Both girls turned to look up to see their mother, looking extremely agitated, as she stalked through the crabapple trees.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"I cannot believe Camilla! If we ever find her, she is never going anywhere without parental supervision!" Their mother huffed as the carriage settled into an uncomfortable silence. Iris fiddled with a ruffle in her dress, Gardenia stared down at her shoes, and Adeline stared absentmindedly out the carriage's window.