Chapter One: Deal Or No Deal?

I opened the white door smoothly. I walked into my house and sighed. Finally home again. It was twenty five minutes past three and I was exhausted. I hung my keys on the hook by the door. I left them hitting the other keys, making a sweet little charm. I dragged my feet a few steps forwards until I reached the staircase.

I looked around me for any sign of humanity. My sister’s weren’t home, nor was my brother.

I was about to make my way up the stairs but my stomach growled at me. I tried to ignore it but I was gasping for food. I stomped my way into the modern kitchen at the back of the house down the hallway. I searched the cupboards for something to nibble on. Nothing! I sighed and picked up an apple from the fruit basket.

I was slowly stumbling my way out of the kitchen when I heard the sound of my brother’s voice. I froze on the spot expecting he wasn’t alone. The faint mutterings irritated me but I kept my ears open to listen.

 “Just stay here, I’m just gonna get a beer! You want anything?” I heard my brother say.  My brother’s footsteps approached me after a mutter of a high pitched girl’s voice. I stood in the kitchen doorway still not visible to be seen from the front door. My brother past the stairs so he was staring right at me.  His smirking face frowned. He carried on walking and pushed past me.

“Ooo someone’s going to be busy tonight!” I stated while turning around following my brother’s footsteps. “Good thing Bonnie or Bailey aren’t home!” I finished, involving our older sisters. They were twins and older than me and Bryan. He hated that they would always treat him like a baby. He scowled at me, whilst opening his bottle of beer, for bringing up their names. They had both gone for job interviews in the centre of London. So that left me and Bryan.

Unless our parents decide to come back from work. They were both archaeologist’s and travelled the world. If I'm not mistaken, they are in Cuba at the moment. When we were little we had a nanny but we all sort of got the gist that if we didn’t want a nanny we would have to start acting more mature. It worked.

“Brooke!” I know what you’re thinking. Four kids and all their names start with B! My Mum thought it was a great idea to start all our names with the same letter. And because her name is Charlotte and my dad’s name is Alfie, why not have B because it’s the letter in between the first letter of their names in the alphabet. Complicated! “This weekend I’ll stay out of your way if you stay out of mine! Deal?” He whispered as he headed out of the kitchen, but somehow he still kept eye contact with me. He stopped because I never replied. I walked up to him, grabbed his beer and pushed past him quick enough before he could catch my arm to stop me from being visible from the girl he brought home.

I swung myself onto the stairs after smirking at the girl now walking towards Bryan.       

“We have ourselves a deal!” I shouted down at Bryan when I reached the top of the stairs.

I grinned at myself and took a bite out of the red crispy apple and swallowed it down with a mouthful of beer.

A whole weekend manipulating my brother sounded like fun though! Maybe I won't keep my promise like the sweet inncoent little girl I never have been!