Chapter 1

Bruce and Dick walked through the clock entrance to the Batcave into the study. Bruce watched as Dick slowly walked out of the room. "That jerk will pay for this."

-Flashback-

Dick Grayson, not Robin, sat in a warehouse gagged and tied to a chair. He had a bruise on right cheek and a small cut below his eye. He was conscious and his captor paced back and forth in front of him, driving Dick a little crazy.

"Your old man has five minutes before I blow your head off kid," the guy said

Dick glared at the guy. If his mouth was free, he'd be giving this guy a piece of his mind.

The guy smiled. "What's wrong, kid, mad 'cause you can't talk back?" The guy then laughed and smacked Dick hard across his already bruised cheek, sending pain shooting through his face.

Up in the rafters, a dark figure watched everything that went on. He narrowed his eyes and became even angrier than he already was as he watched and listened to what the guy was saying and doing.

"You're a stupid," smack, "and pathetic," smack, "kid," smack, "and I can see why," punch, "your old man," punch, and the chair tipped over causing Dick to lay on his side, "wouldn't want," kick, "to give his money," kick, "up," kick, kick, "to save you." Kick.

Dick had his eyes closed tight and the dark figure couldn't take it anymore. While the guy had his back toward him, Batman jumped down, caught the guy off guard, and kicked him across the room.

The guy got up, pulled his gun out of his pocket, and started shooting at Batman. Batman dodged the bullets, moved away from Dick so he didn't get hit, and ran toward the guy.

They guy continued to shoot, but Batman got to him and punched him a lot harder than he should have. He heard a crack and knew that he had broken the guy's nose, but didn't care; he just kept punching.

Finally the guy went down unconscious. Batman then turned toward Dick, who was still lying on his side tied to the chair, and ran over to him. he used a bat-a-rang to cut the ropes then pulled the tape off his mouth. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah, thanks," Dick said smiling up at him.

Batman frowned even more as he finally got a good look at Dick's face. "Come on, we'll get you home so Alfred can check you over."

Dick nodded and tried to get up. He was weak from the hour of being tied to the chair. "You know," Dick said as he slowly walked to the door, "I actually started to think you weren't coming this time."

This stopped Batman in his tracks and he just stood there for a minute watching in shock as Dick walked out the door.

Once Dick got completely out the door, Batman turned back toward the guy and anger returned as he stalked toward him. The guy was still unconscious and Batman wished he was awake so he could feel what it's like to be on the receiving end, but just cuffed him and went back to the Batmovile.

-End of Flashback-

"If he ever touches Dick again..." Bruce started, but didn't get the chance to finish his statement as Alfred came out of the clock.

"Master Bruce, I'm glad I caught you."

"Is everything alright?" Bruce asked concerned.

"Yes, Sir, but I would suggest Master Dick stay home for a few nights. He has a couple broken ribs from where that man kicked him, and I wouldn't want to see him get hurt because of it."

"I see. Ok, I'll tell him," Bruce replied then left the room.

YJYJYJYJYJYJYJYJYJ

Dick walked into the dining room the next morning and saw Bruce drinking a cup of coffee while reading the paper. "Morning, Bruce," he said as he sat down next to Bruce.

Bruce closed the paper and sat it on the table. "Morning, Dick. How're you feeling this morning?"

"Fine, but my chest still hurts a little."

"Understandable. Alfred told me last night that you had a couple of broken ribs."

Alfred walked in with two plates of pancakes and sat them down in front of Dick and Bruce. Dick smiled up at him. "Thanks, Al."

"You're quite welcome, Sir." Alfred then walked back to the kitchen.

Both Bruce and Dick just ate in silence until they were both about done. "Dick," Bruce said figuring now was as good a time as any. "Alfred thinks you shouldn't go on patrols for a while until your ribs are a bit better."

Dick didn't look up at him, but nodded to show he heard.

"Dick?" Bruce asked a little concerned.

Dick finally looked up at him, a smile on his face. "I'm fine, Bruce, really, and I was kind of expecting you to say something like that."

"Ok," Bruce looked a bit skeptical but said nothing more and finished cleaning his plate.

After he cleaned it, he stood up as Alfred came back into the room, walked past Dick, messing up his hair causing the boy to complain happily in protest, and walked toward the door. "See you this afternoon, Dick."

"Ok, bye, Bruce."

YJYJYJYJYJYJYJYJYJYJYJ

Later that afternoon, Dick was sitting on the couch doing his math homework while he was waiting for Bruce to get home. He loved doing math, but he was a little distracted today and he found himself taking longer than he normally did. Finally, he just decided to push his homework 'til later. "Hey, Al, is Bruce mad at me?"

Alfred was dusting when Dick asked him this. He turned and looked at him shocked. "Why on earth would you believe he's mad at you?"

Dick shrugged and looked away from him. "I don't know. It's just he was mad after he got out of the warehouse and every time he looked at me after that he always seemed to get madder."

Alfred placed the duster on a table nearby and walked over and sat down next to Dick on the couch. "He wasn't mad at you, he was mad at the guy that hurt you, and at himself for letting you get hurt." Dick looked up to him. "You know how protective Master Bruce gets when it comes to you."

Dick smiled. "Yeah, Wally calls him DaddyBats."

Alfred gave a soft chuckle. "Yes, I believe I have heard Master Wallace say that too."

The next thing Alfred knew, Dick was clinging to him. Alfred just smiled and wrapped his arms around the boy.

Little did either of them know was that someone had snuck into the house and was watching them. The intruder smiled then stepped out of hiding. "Awww, is the little rich brat having daddy issues?" Dick and Alfred both jumped at the sound of the man's voice. "Why don't I solve your little problem for you. Hand over the kid, grandpa."

Both Alfred and Dick stood up and Alfred pushed Dick behind him protectively. "I will not."

The man glared at Alfred and pulled a gun out of his jacket. "Well then, I guess I'm just gonna have to make you."

With that a shot went off and Dick just screamed, "NO!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you all enjoyed this first chapter. Please comment below and let me know what you thought of it.

Thanks for reading :D