❄ Day One

At the moment, Jihye was bored, like extremely bored. There was nothing she could really do since she was still getting accustomed to her new surroundings other than play games on her phone and listen to music. Television was out of the question as well since everything that was airing at the hour was too tedious for her to watch. They were either soap operas or infomercials and Jihye hated both. If only she had school work to occupy herself with. Too bad she wouldn't be officially enrolled in her high school until the break was over. The thought of doing nothing useful caused her to drone. If she had work, at least she would have had something productive to do.

As she stared up at the ceiling of her room, Jihye's mind wandered off to the boy who lived across the street. She didn't mean to think about Lay but she couldn't stop herself and to be honest, she wasn't as bothered by the thought of him as she had expected herself to be. The fellow was definitely someone who intrigued her, in a good way of course. He was aware that Jihye didn't like him yet he still came over and made the effort to be friendly with her (even after she had been utterly rude to him). No one had ever come back, not even once, when Jihye cut them off. Whenever people tried talking to her, she would just tell them to leave her alone and sure enough, they did.

Although she would never admit it, Jihye was always hoping there would be that one person who would come back and still insist on being mates with her. You know, like in those cheesy movies people watch all the time? She was the loner, who had a thick wall built around her, and she was just waiting for someone to be brave enough to tear the barrier down. But for the last eighteen years of her life, she had never met someone who dared to get to know her. Someone who dared to stay by her side even though they knew how broken she was.

Suddenly, the doorbell chimed and caused Jihye to sit up. She cocked her head to the side and wondered if there was supposed to be anyone dropping by. She didn't recall her parents telling her anyone was going to visit before they left so she figured it might have been more neighbors coming over to greet her. Next, she got onto her feet and made her way downstairs. She didn't bother to look out the peephole to see who it was as she opened the door. "Hey," Lay said shyly as soon as he had his target in sight. The cold gusts of wind from outside invaded her house and Jihye shivered when a few snowflakes snuck in and landed on her skin. "Can I come in so you can close the door?" Before she could reply, Lay let himself inside and for some reason, Jihye couldn't find it in her to kick him back out. So instead, she closed the door and faced him.

"What do you want now?" She asked monotonously (even though she was a little happy that she wasn't the only one in her house anymore).

Lay tugged the scarf covering half of his face down and his pink nose and cheeks were rather cute to Jihye as she heard him sniffle. "I just wanted to come and check up on you." He explained.

"And why would you do that?" She walked over to the coffee table in the living room where a box of tissues was placed. Lay trailed her but stopped when she spun around and held a tissue for him to take. He glanced up at Jihye with a smile gracing his lips. The action did not go unnoticed by the girl along with the dimple which had formed at the same time. Jihye had never had someone smile like that at her before and she could feel her heart jump with joy before she cleared her throat and glanced away.

"Thanks," Lay took the tissue from her and wiped his nose. "But I heard from my mom that your parents were out of town." At the reminder, Jihye grew bitter as her jaw clenched.

"That's nothing new." She muttered. It got really awkward and quiet and all Lay could do was watch as Jihye stared at the wall. "If you're just checking to see if I'm still alive because your mom asked you to, tell her I'm fine. This isn't the first time my parents left me alone during the holidays. I can deal with it. You can let yourself out." Jihye took a step up the staircase but was then paralyzed by his voice.