~*Yuichirou*~

For most of my life, I have felt alone. Yes, I have had girlfriends in the past, but they never made me truly happy. I always found myself going out of my way to please them, which yes, is what a gentleman should do. At least that's what my care worker told me. But anyway, I always put others' happiness before my own, even if that made me miserable. Though despite my efforts, they would inevitably leave me. I fall too fast, too hard. You would have thought I would have learnt by now. After each of my breakups, I am left in the dark abyss that is loneliness, wondering why I exist and why I can't find true happiness. 

I never though I would find happiness in guys. Specifically Mikaela. I'm surprised he stuck around after meeting me, if I'm completely honest. It was January, and I had just broken up with a girl named Shinoa. The snow had all melted and the only remain was a thick brown-grey slush that was splattered up kerbs and against buildings. I walked along a path beside a stream, enjoying the sting of cold air scratching at my exposed flesh. To my surprise, I wasn't at all upset about my breakup, and I certainly wasn't happy about it. I didn't feel anything. I do not know why I thought it was a good idea, but I unzipped my coat and untied my shoes, before lowering myself into the freezing stream. I must have thought feeling as cold and uncomfortable as I did with her, would make me feel some sort of emotion again. That is when Mika came along.

"Isn't it a little cold to go swimming today?" He asked, a warm smile on his face, his gentle voice making the hair raise on my arm. His hair was a light blonde and his eyes were clearer than the water I was stomach-deep in. He knelt down on the side of the bank, steadying himself before assisting me out of the water. He picked my coat up of the bench where I had placed it, and wrapped it around my shoulders, as well as placing his own on top. After this encounter, we continued to meet up and gradually became close.

After a year or so, we became a couple. He had invited me to a cafe for something important. I remember it so clearly- I had just taken the last sip of my pumpkin-spice Latte, when he asked me to be his boyfriend. Mika had made me the happiest I had ever been in my life so of course I said yes. Ecstatic at my answer, he got up off his chair and pulled me into an embrace, before pressing his soft lips against mine. 

I'm not going to lie, I clung to him. I clung to him a lot. He made me the happiest I had ever been and I could not bare to think what I would do without him.  I would come home from a tedious day at work, and he'd run to greet me, instantly cheering me up. Just his presence made me happy. Understandably, he would become bothered by my worrying and clinging to him. One night, we were laid in bed. I was just nodding off, warming my cold body with his warmth, when he turned to me, seriousness in his eyes.

"Yuu-chan," he said, cupping my face in his hands. "I will never leave you. This is a promise, I'll always be here for you."

Skipping out a handful of events, this brings us to present day. I walk to my destination, passing the stream where we met. I hold the roses I have with me close to my chest, sheltering them from the strong spring breeze. I stop in front of the gravestone, reading the neatly engraved writing.

Here lies Mikaela Hyakuya. 

1991-2015.

A loving husband and dear friend to many. 

I gently place the roses down, before shoving my hands into my pockets and take a step back, gawking at the stone. 

"You lied."