Chapter Three

Draco was so completely ensconced writing his latest report, he practically jumped out of his skin when a knock came at the door. Coffee sloshed over the rim of his mug as he jolted, and he grabbed the nearest few sheets of paper to mop it up before any dripped onto the floor. It was only then he realised that the papers were in fact part of a contract he was supposed to sign, and groaned loudly thinking about how much Pansy was going to shout at him.

"Come in?" he called to the closed door of his study. One of the perks he'd enjoyed most about working more from home was the peace and quiet. He and Scorpius had struck a deal that he had to wait for Daddy to come out to see him, that he couldn't just bang on the door whenever he felt like it. In return, Harry had set up egg timers in the study that went off at regular intervals to remind Draco to stretch his legs and come visit them. Draco had thought he might find that irritating, but actually every time the bells went off from the novelty chicken-shaped timer, he would feel flush with happiness, and drop whatever he was doing to go find them both.

So he wasn't sure who to expect when the door tentatively opened, but his face split into an unrestrained grin when he recognised the woman before him. "Mother!" he cried, standing at once to embrace her. She looked as regal as always, signature Malfoy blonde hair coiffured in an elegant bun, with Hunter wellies and Burberry macintosh over her favourite slacks and cashmere jumper. "What a lovely surprise."

She kissed his cheeks and held him by the shoulders to get a good look at him. "Oh Draco," she sighed. "I told you last week I was coming to visit, did you forget?"

Draco looked back at the mountain of work on his desk. "Possibly," he said guiltily. "But that's why I have Pansy, I did wonder why she insisted I didn't need to come into the office today."

Narcissa Malfoy swatted him playfully with her soft leather gloves. "That girl deserves a raise," she proclaimed.

"I'm sure she would agree," Draco conceded. "Have you seen Scorpius yet?"

His mother beamed. "Yes, he and Harry met me at the door. What a charming young man you've found yourself there."

Something about her tone made Draco raise an eyebrow. She had an alternative meaning lurking under her words, but he wasn't confident precisely what it was. "He is outstanding with Scorpius," he said warmly, dropping the issue for now. "And he's certainly brought a breath of fresh air into the house."

"I agree," she said. "We were actually wondering if you'd like to join us for a walk?"

Draco frowned. "A walk?" he repeated. The weather outside wasn't exactly balmy, but it was dry and bright for a change. That wasn't what surprised him though. "Scorpius wants to go for a walk?"

For the past year or so, Draco had worried his son had stuck meticulously to the same rigid routine, becoming very distressed if anything had threatened to disrupt it, and that generally included leaving the house at all. But in the past couple of months, he and Harry had managed to convince him to try out a playgroup in the nearest town. He now attended three mornings a week, but he still didn't like too much change to his daily ritual.

"Yes," said Narcissa brightly. "Harry asked him if he wanted to show me the bridge where they play Poohsticks. I think they've wandered over there a few times."

Draco blinked, a small lump forming in his throat. He assumed bridge in question was the little wooden one that crossed over the creek that bisected the Malfoy estate, near the woods. It had to be at least a fifteen minute walk; that was practically an expedition by the youngest Malfoy's standards.

"Harry hadn't said they'd managed to go that far," he said, trying to disguise the thickness in his voice with a cough. "That's lovely."

His mother gave him a sympathetic smile that crinkled fine lines around her eyes. "Well, are you going to come join us?"

Draco coughed again and rubbed the back of his neck. "Um," he said, suddenly feeling a little wrong footed. "I uh, well I have to get this report finished, and probably draw up a new contract with slightly less coffee on it."

"I understand dear," his mother said kindly, squeezing his shoulder.

Draco felt flustered. "I wish I could, I just-"

"Darling," she interrupted firmly. "Don't worry yourself about it. I rarely get to see my only grandson nowadays, we shall have a splendid time and rejoin you for supper perhaps?"

He nodded. "Yes," he said stiffly. "That sounds wonderful."

She gave him another kiss on the cheek, then swept out the door, closing it softly behind her.

Draco blinked a couple of times, then turned back to his desk, looking at the document glowing on the computer screen, the various papers and files littered over the wooden surface and the slowly drying coffee. Why didn't he want to go for a walk, what was he afraid of? He wasn't sure and began to chew his lip.

He guessed he had just been surviving for so long. It had taken him a long time to piece his life back together after Scorpius' birth, to come to terms with the fact that what should have been something joyous had turned to tragedy in the blink of an eye. And so he and his son had slowly reconstructed the world around them, a fragile equilibrium that had most definitely been lacking in any much joy.

And then Harry had come along. With his papier-mâché and stories of talking dogs and endless patience for the Malfoys and their firm habits that had protected them so far, but perhaps they were not enough anymore. Perhaps flexibility were what both Draco and Scorpius needed if they were going to start living, rather than just surviving.

Sod the report, he thought with a thrill of defiance. What was the use of being the boss if you couldn't bend the rules every now and again? Before he could change his mind he flew out of the study, bounding down the stairs and heading to the back conservatory which lead directly out into the grounds.

"Daddy!" cried Scorpius in surprise, vaulting into Draco's legs with only one boot on. "Grandma said you couldn't come!"

Draco glanced over at his mother, who gave him an appreciative look back. Harry stood by her side, wrapped up in a chunky knit scarf over his jacket, a lop-sided beanie hat attempting to cover his mane of black curls. He looked something akin to proud, and Draco had to shy away, almost embarrassed by both of their approval.

"It turns out all my work is finished for the day after all," he said to Scorpius in mock surprise. "And I heard you found a secret bridge that I had to come see immediately."

"It's a magical bridge," Scorpius exclaimed, swinging on his arm as Harry took the distraction as an opportunity to sneak the second boot onto his foot. "Harry says that there's a friendly troll who lives under there, but he only comes out at night and he keeps the house safe from all the spooky monsters and he eats crumpets and jam, and he helps me win when we play Poohsticks because I always win."

Draco had managed to one-handedly pull his own boots on, and was now negotiating a coat and gloves. "Is that so?" he challenged his bouncing son. "Well I think today I'm going to win, because I think Mr Troll likes me better than you."

"No!" squealed Scorpius. "He's my friend, you'll see – come on, come on!" he tugged and tugged as Draco allowed himself to be pulled out the door, into the fresh, cool air, Harry and his mother laughing and following out behind them.

Yes, thought Draco to himself as they ventured out into the grounds, wind whipping their hair, birds chirping above their heads. Maybe a little flexibility was exactly what they both needed.

That, and a friendly troll to keep them safe at night.