Chapter Six

The kiss didn't last long, but Draco was pretty certain as they pulled apart that it was the best kiss of his entire nineteen years on the planet. "Wow," he said as Harry ran his hand through the hair on the back of Draco's head.

"Wow right back," he said, sending nervous shudders over Draco's skin.

A swift double tap of heavy fingers on their table broke them both from their reverie. A gruff looking guy began clearing up the empties their friends had left behind. "None of that please," he said, not looking them in the eye as he stacked the pint glasses up, one on top of the other. "This is a family pub."

Shame and abhorrence doused Draco's happiness in an instant, and he drew away from Harry hurriedly. Harry however didn't seem all that phased. "I'm sorry?" he asked pleasantly, succeeding in getting the guy to meet his gaze.

"This isn't Soho," he challenged, snatching up the last of the glasses. "There isn't a rainbow flag hanging in my window. You drink here, you'll respect family values."

Draco swallowed thickly, hands shaking in his lap. But Harry cast a look around the beer garden at the crowd made up mostly of rowdy twenty-somethings loudly enjoying their Saturday night; certainly no impressionable children. He smiled at the guy in front of them, and knocked back the rest of his drink. "Oh do fuck off," he said cheerfully.

Draco went slack with shock, and almost didn't register Harry standing. "I beg your pardon!" the bartender spluttered. "This is my establishment, I'll not have it sullied with you people flaunting yourselves in public!"

"Duly noted," said Harry, picking up Draco's skateboard. That was the last straw for him; he'd forgotten the blasted thing was there and he felt tears at the back of his eyes in humiliation. He wished he'd never bought it, he should have left it in the past where it belonged.

Harry was still perky though. "I'll be sure and quote that when I annihilate this place on every social media platform I can find. Coming Draco?"

He almost started at Harry using his name, but he quickly nodded, desperate to get away from the man turning purple in front of them. "That's it!" he yelled. "Barred, get out and don't bother coming back!"

Harry was ignoring him though as he guided Draco gently but quickly towards the gate in the fence that took them back out into the field. He was also ignoring the other people watching them as they passed, some frowning, some laughing. Draco couldn't tell what they were thinking; were they laughing at them or with them, were they angry at them for kissing or at the owner for kicking them out?

The guy was still shouting as Harry steered them around the pub towards the houses, and didn't stop until they were well out of sight in a quiet road of red brick houses. "What a prick!" he cried, laughing and grinning in the streetlight as he turned to face Draco. He tried to muster a smile back, but his insides felt like snakes, his eyes hot and prickly. Harry's mirth dropped instantly at the sight of him. "Hey," he said, stepping closer and touching Draco's elbow. "Hey, you're not upset are you? That guy was a Class A dickhead."

Draco didn't know what to say, it was like he'd left his voice back under the table with Snuffles' chicken scraps. So dogs were welcome, but not gays? That sounded about right.

"I, uh," he said, hugging himself. "I should probably get going."

But Harry just stepped closer to him, rubbing his shoulder in a comforting way that Draco couldn't make himself pull away from. "Please don't," said Harry softly, dropping the stupid skateboard to the floor so he could hold Draco's other shoulder too. "Don't ever let anyone talk to you like that, we didn't do anything wrong, okay?"

Draco was shivering, he could feel it against Harry's hands. The air was cooler away from the heater, but he suspected it was more than that. A slimy sense of self-loathing was crawling through his insides, and he couldn't bring himself to look Harry in the eye.

Which was probably why he touched his fingers to Draco's chin, and tilted his head up slightly, making it harder for Draco to hide. "I like you Draco," he said plainly, and he shivered again, but this time it wasn't wholly unpleasant. "I wanted to kiss you pretty much from the moment I helped knock you off that skateboard. And I'm not going to let some narrow-minded twat spoil that."

Draco felt like he expected some sort of response, so he nodded, trying to let go of some of the tension in his body. "Okay," he breathed out. He let Harry's words wash over him, absorbed them into his skin, quelling the goose bumps. "I guess I wanted to kiss you too," he admitted, grateful Harry had let go of his face so he could look away shyly.

But he still sensed Harry smiling at him from the corner of his eye. "Does that mean I can kiss you again?"

His light-heartedness was catching, and Draco felt himself smiling too as he nodded.

Hands wrapped around his waist as Harry brought them together, bodies flush as they stood on the deserted pavement in the shadows of the streetlight. Draco leaned in as Harry brought their mouths together again, his hand trailing up Draco's neck and into his hair. He tasted sweet from the coke and smelled like mint shower gel and faintly of Pansy's cigarettes. He was slightly shorter than Draco, but it still very much felt like he was in command of the embrace as it stretched out.