A Promise In The Grass

Draco groaned and dropped his face into his hands. He was feeling so frazzled and he'd only been up an hour or two, but the mountain of revision that lay before him meant he couldn't really entertain the notion of going back to bed. The spring sunshine was streaming through his bedroom window, and Draco was facing the entire Easter break of having to ignore its temptation if he ever wanted to get a first on his degree.

"Stupid lovely weather," he grumbled, rubbing his fingers into his sockets, before taking a deep sigh and reopening his eyes. There were papers scattered everywhere marked up with different coloured pens. Draco tried to go back to the chart he was working on, but the text book he'd been referring to slipped and crashed to the floor, not only losing his place but also landing painfully on his foot. "Fuck!" he yelled in anger as he hissed and aggressively rubbed the already bruising skin. In a fit of temper he snatched up the chart and screwed it into a ball, throwing it against his bedroom wall.

He was an idiot, he should have started on his notes sooner, he was never going to get through this. (He studiously ignored the little voice in the back of his head that wanted to know when exactly he could have found this extra time to study, and instead tried to find his page again, ignoring his poor, throbbing foot).

It was just for a few more months, he told himself, a few more months work then he could have some semblance of freedom back. But for now, it didn't matter that it was a Saturday and spring had finally arrived in the air. All that mattered was that he stuck to his schedule, got through the rest of the holiday, then passed his exams with flying colours. He could do this.

Maybe he would close the curtains?

The sound of his phone ringing made him jump, but the designated ringtone changed his foul mood into happiness in an instant. He hit the answer button and pressed it to his ear, grinning tiredly. "Hey babe," he said warmly.

"Hello gorgeous," Harry's voice came over the phone. "For a second I was worried there might be a vague possibility you'd still be asleep, but that would be ridiculous, wouldn't it?"

"Damn straight," Draco told him with a yawn, worrying how he was going to make it through the day without a nap. "These notes aren't going to write themselves."

Harry chuckled. "You be careful," he warned. "Don't burn out too quickly." Draco could hear him walking, but wasn't sure if he was inside or out.

"I'm fine," he said dismissively. "Anyway, enough about my boring life, what about you, how's your trip?" Harry was off on an errand for old Dobby, sourcing new equipment for the distillery, which Draco would have loved to have joined him on both because he was interested in updating the machinery, and also because it would have meant sharing a hotel room on company expenses. But he hadn't been able to take the time away from his studies, which had made him awfully grumpy, much to Harry's amusement.

There was a knock at the door though before Harry could answer. "Oh, hang on," Draco told him, standing up. "There's someone outside my bedroom."

He pulled it open, and stopped, stunned at what he saw.

"I know there is," Harry told him with a wicked grin, and closed the call on his phone.

Draco made a noise that was almost a squeal and threw his arms around his boyfriend's neck. "What!" he cried. "How – I thought you weren't back for two more days!"

Harry laughed and prised him away so he could kiss him. "We finished up early."

Draco blamed his exam and revision stress, but he couldn't help but have to blink back tears, feeling very stupid. "That's good," he mumbled with a little laugh, stepping back into his bedroom and rubbing his face sheepishly.