Chapter 4 - New Home

Jett

I step through the revolving doors then out onto the sidewalk. A car awaits us, I can tell by the "NEWLY MATCHED" banner on the side with our names plastered beneath it. I unwillingly climb into the back of it and ignore the driver's bewildered expression when Amelia joins me. The car glides smoothly above the tar covered road and in no time we arrive in front of United Structure.

It's a skyscraper, like its surrounding buildings, but it looks like it stretches far past the others into the sky. It has a Victorian style to it, vines crawling up its sides in an orderly manner and perfectly sculpted waves extending from its corners. It reminds me of the story books my brother used to read to me about castles, dragons and pretty princesses waiting to be saved.

"Beautiful," Amelia exhales, her grey eyes sparkling with admiration.

After a few moments, we both tread into the building where four elevators line the floor and pick the first one to the left. She handles all of the button clicking and when I look up I see a typical issued apartment just as they show in the commercials. Its white washed with birch hardwood floors and an unobscured view of all of the other skyscrapers downtown. She strides out into the living room, her hair bouncing with each placement of her heels and I follow after her like a puppy on a lead.

One couch, two chairs, a coffee table and flat screen greet us when we walk in. I wander into the kitchen where stainless steel everything awaits and then stumble into the bedroom.

The bedroom is gigantic with bay windows to the amazing view and two cozy chairs facing it. A king bed sits against the opposite wall, a leather headboard with gold buttons pinning ruffles in the fabric down separating the two. Pillows nearly cover the whole bed and the comforter looks like a cloud.

"There's only one bed," Amelia says slowly. "And two of us.."

"We can share. We're both girls," I try not to sound annoyed, but her neck snaps to me.

"I know that, but I like personal space."

"The bed is huge. You'll be fine."

She huffs then twirls on her heels and takes in the rest of the bedroom. Two open built-in closets contain a few outfits for both of us, brightly colored and the only contrast to the bland apartment. Then beside them is the bathroom and, upon entering, my eyes widen. A sizeable tub for two is pushed into the corner, accompanied by a glass shower with white floor tile. A his and her sink set is across from it and two robes are stacked on the countertop between.

I grab the note sitting on one of the robes and read it aloud, "We hope your love lasts forever. Remember your partner is now yours for life. No one can replace them. Enjoy your wonderful family unit and welcome new life. Have a nice match,

Matchers' Headquarters."

Amelia frowns, as though someone just broke bad news to her. "Hmph.." she mutters and turns to the mirror, pulling her hair into a high ponytail then forming it into a bun. Kicking off her heels, she turns to me and furrows her brows. "Stare much?"

Shaking my head, both in response to her and to clear my mind, I walk past her back to the living room. A phone hangs from the wall mount near the door and I study it, thoughts clashing then I wrap my hand around it. My fingers punch in the familiar numbers and I let out a slow breath.

"The Gibsons Residence," my younger sister's voice coolly answers. "Whom am I speaking with?"

"Your Highness, kiddo," I smirk and her laugh melts my heart. "How're you?"

"Eh, Kelvin just got home from school so I'm helping him with his homework. Where are you?"

".. Where's Mom?"

"I dunno. She got some new pills and told me to leave her alone. As usual."

It felt like someone had just slapped me with a searing pan. "Well.. Gem, I may not be around for a while.. I got matched."

The line got deadly quiet then I hear sobs erupting from the other side. "Why didn't you tell me it was so soon?" she blubbers, her little voice sounding betrayed. "What am I going to do?! What is Kelvin going to do?!"

"I don't know, G... I didn't want you to worry you with the details. But! I know you guys will be just fine. You're already the best big sister he'll ever have and you know what's right and what's wrong. I prom--" the words become molasses in my mouth, coating my throat with bitterness. ".. You have to be strong."

Her tears don't stop gushing and her sobs make me want to scoop her into my arms and hold her tight. "I love you, Jett," her voice trembles with thickness.

"I love you too, Gem.. I'll call you as much as I can," I close my eyes as a tear escapes down my cheek. "Please.. Be strong."

The loud banging and gurgle of words in the background remind me she's alone with the monster of my mother. With a crash and scream from Kelvin, the call drops.

"Y'know, I think we should set some ground ru..." Amelia's sentence falters when the tears rush down my face like a river.

Somehow my hand remembers to hang up the phone then wipe my face from the oncoming downpour. "Can it wait?" I open my eyes to look at her. "I'm willing to listen, but can it just wait?"

She nods swiftly, a look of conflicting emotions crossing her face momentarily as she steps forward then turns around and exits the room.

I crash onto the couch, laying on my side and burying my face into a throw pillow. The tears fall and for once.. I don't stop them.