Babies!

"I think we've got it!" I cheer, throwing my fist into the air. Gumball just stares down at the paper in front of him with a nervous look on his face. My expression changes from my big smile to a bit of a frown. I know giving this speech is going to be hard for him. No one likes to admit their mistakes, and what Gumball did was a BIG mistake, but it has to be addressed. I put my hand on his back and move it back and forth. "You okay, dude?" He nods.
"I will be when I get this over with and it all blows over."
"Me too." I agree and take my hand back. "Then I can finally go back to adventuring! Everything will finally be normal." Just as I say that, Peppermint Maid bursts through the double doors of the meeting room.
"In here! They're in here!" She shouts in slight fear. I stand, ready to fight who or whatever is scaring her, but Marshall-Lee floats into the room hurriedly.
"Fiona!" He moves forward and grabs my arm. "Cake needs you, come on!"
"Wait, what? What's wrong with Cake? Marshall?!" He's already pulled me to the front doors of the castle. I'm terrified for my best friend and want answers now!
"She's with Monocromicorn about to have her babies. Come on, no time to talk!" I gasp and let him pull me onward. Cakes babies! So much has been going on in my life I sort of forgot that Cake was even pregnant! How could I do that? I'm a terrible best friend! "You're going to have to use your own legs or jump into my arms, Fi. I can't be yanking your arm the whole way."
"Oh!" I snap out of my thoughts and pull out of Marshall's grasp. Before I can tell him I'll meet him there he scoops me up and grabs the umbrella by the front door to shield himself from the sunlight. He carries me out of the castle and toward the Lords house. I don't talk, letting my thoughts get the best of me again. I imagine what the babies will look like. I imagine how many there will be. I imagine the happy look on Cake's face when she will play with them. Marshall doesn't talk either, which makes it easier to imagine and smile to myself. We arrive at our destination and I hop out of Marshall's arms.
"Uh, do you want me to..." He trails off, looking toward the house.
"Yes! Come on!" I take his hand in mine. "Unless you don't want to, I mean." I can tell he feels a little like an intruder, not being close to the Lord and not having the best reputation with Cake. But I want him here. This is going to be an amazing moment and I want Marshall, a special person to me, to be there and share the moment.
"If you think it's okay for me to be here, then sure." I nod, reassuring him, and go to enter the place. I haven't been in the Lords house very many times. Usually it's just to see if Cake is there and to take her home. This time I actually belong here. I look around the house and follow the sounds of voices. I enter the room that Cake is in with Marshall trailing after me. The first thing I see is little baby cat horse hybrids playing together on the ground. I gasp, kneeling down to pat one of them on the head.
"Aren't they cute?" I look up at Cake, sitting on the couch and smiling at me and her babies.
"Oh my glob yes!" I chirp.
"They grow fast, so they can already sit up. I can't believe it!" She laughs weakly. I stand up and walk over to her. Marshall stays seated on the floor, seemingly mesmerized by he babies.
"How was the delivery? How do you feel? Everything's alright?" Cake nods.
"Everything is perfect. I just need a little rest before we can go back out adventuring."
"You can still adventure? Even though you have children to take care of?" I ask hopefully. Maybe everything wouldn't be back to normal with Cake being a new mom. But Cake shakes her head.
"Take the worried look off of your face, baby. They grow fast, remember? I should be back to adventuring and living at the treehouse in a couple of weeks! I look over at the Lord, who is standing on the other side of the couch. He nods, as if to say she's telling the truth. I smile wide and go back to sit next to Marshall. He still hasn't touched any of the babies, he is just watching them with wide eyes.
"They're cute, huh?" He just nods, not looking away from them. I lean against his arm and watch the babies attempt to crawl already. They can't quite get it, probably too scared still. Part of my wishes these were my babies; with Marshall by my side it felt almost like a family. Maybe one day I do want to slow down and have a family with him. Wait, what am I thinking?! Marshall and I aren't even dating and I'm thinking about having kids?! Are we dating, though? I look over at Marshall, but he still doesn't meet my gaze. I guess he never did formally ask me to be his girlfriend or anything, but we do act like a couple. And I would say yes if he asked. Unless he just assumed we were dating and he didn't have to ask? Ugh, it would be awkward to ask what we are, but I may have to. Later. When Cake isn't burning a hold into the back of my head with her stare.