Perish in the Night

The night sky loomed over the large ship. Moon hidden behind the clouds that dusted the dark sky. I sat in my room with a photo in my hand. My finger trailed over the outline of my husband. Nils. He was awaiting us in Chicago.

I only wish we could reach him faster. I didn't want to travel on this ship. Too big I said. Too many people. Wasn't safe.

I leaned back into the small and hard armchair in our 3rd class room. Trying to be quiet. My children slept in their bunks.

The ghost of a smile lingered on my lips. The children were arguing over who would get the top bunks. Being the eldest, Danira insisted that she absolutely must have one. The poor children had never been on such a majestic ship.

Nils and I have never been able to spoil them. We were too poor. Living on a farm in Sweden. Hopefully now that Nils has a job in America we can afford to take them out, or buy them nice new clothes.

My eyes searched the 3rd class room that we were occupying. The walls were yellow and new. Shining in the dim light of the oil lamp on the table beside me.

A sigh fluttered through my lips.

"Mama?" the little voice directed to me, drew me out of my reverie.

"Yes ma' dear." I whispered back, my heavy accent sounding through the air.

"Jag kan inte sova. I cant sleep" Stina called. I lifted my finger to my lip to hush her as I noticed Paul shuffle around under his blankets. The thin material perfectly sculpting his six year old form. Stina was three, Gosta two and Danira eight. My children and I were on our way to chicago. To see my Nil's.

"shhh. Come here." I gestured to my daughter.

Stina pulled herself from her tangled sheet and stumbled into my arms. I lifted her small frame and pulled her into my chest. Rocking back and forth and humming a native tune. My quiet song filled the room and I noticed my other children shift and move themselves into a more comfortable position.

Down the corridor I heard a dim bell banging.

"I'm sorry my söta , I must eat." I whospered to Stina, who was again asleep. Carefully, I stood and placed her still form onto the vacant bed. Pulling her sheet up to her neck and planting a kiss on her forehead.

I turned to the door and exited the room. I didnt lock the door. We wern't given any locks, and anyway we're in the middle of the ocean, no harm would be brought to my children.

"Alma!" the voice called not to far away. I heard it easily in the long hallway. In fact the deep voice echoed down the corridor.

"Yes August?" I answered back

"Where are your children." the man jogged over to me, his face and voice filled with concern.

"I left them in the room. They already ate." I smiled up at my friend. August Wennerström stood a head taller than me and I had to crane my neck to look up at his face. August was kind enough to keep an eye out for us until we all got to Chicago. He stepped in when a young man was behaving somewhat inappropriately towards me.

"Ah very well. In that case shall we?" he presented the crook of his arm to me. I laughed and stepped towards him.

Suddenly I stumbled as the ship rocked violently. I fell onto August and he promptly righted me up.

"Are you alright?" his smile had faded to concern.

"I'm all right." I waved him away. Standing myself steady again amidst the gentle rocking of the ship again.