Chapter seven

The last few days hadn’t been as harmonious as Kenzie had hoped they’d be, and she hadn’t been able to focus on the final stage of the contest at all. Her parents were still outraged by her brother’s behavior, which was completely understandable, but both Portia and Kenzie had managed to get past the initial shock of the whole ordeal and had tried to calm down their parents. Unfortunately for them, their parents were stubborn as a mule and had no plans to lay off their strictness. Nate had been grounded for about two centuries – give or take a couple of years – and would most likely end up an urban legend of the city, “the boy who never saw broad daylight again”.

She felt bad for him, she really did. She also regretted having yelled at him on the night of the revelation, but she had eased her guilt by blaming it on the alcohol in her system. Yes, alcohol always ended up the scapegoat when people did nonsensical things which they would later come to regret. Not that she had had the opportunity to apologize to him, face to face. Work had been crazy hectic, she had seen all of her friends leave town in a matter of days, and she was also freaking out about her song choice for the final, messing up at least one line during every run-through of the song she had chosen. What is more, her brother hadn’t been very social since his involuntary incarceration in the family home. Coming to think of it, Kenzie couldn’t recall that he had even left his room more than a handful of times in the past few days. He was slowly reverting back to a cave man; an evolutionary night mare, Kenzie figured.

Today, though, Nate was the last thing on her mind. They had driven all the way to Dallas – her father, Portia and her – for the competition (her mother was staying at home, making sure there was no break out attempt by the captive) and were currently at the hotel room they had been assigned by the record label which held the contest in cooperation with the radio station. There were nine other girls competing, all of which had won their subdivisions, just like Kenzie had two weeks prior, and she wasn’t too optimistic about her chances. Then again, she hadn’t been very sanguine prior to the first contest, and that had worked out in her favor.

But, really, what were the odds of her having the same luck again?

The contest spanned over two days; today they’d be given the opportunity to rehearse their song choices, and also meet Colton Arden. During the evening they contestants would be treated to dinner at a fancy restaurant to get to know each other, which Kenzie thought was completely pointless, seeing as they were all competing against each other and would either be too nervous or too competitive to fully enjoy the meal they were to endure. Personally, she wouldn’t have problems making small talk with the other girls, and chit chatting about the weather to be polite, but she for some reason she suspected that others wouldn’t be that willing to play nice.

“By when do you need to be down at the lobby?” Her father asked to make sure that they didn’t miss any deadlines and that the day would go by smoothly.

“Uhm,” Kenzie looked at her cell phone to see what time it was, “in fifteen minutes.”

“And you’re going to look like that?” Portia asked and raised an eyebrow, sitting on the extra bed they had paid to be set up in the hotel room, noting the casual outfit her sister was wearing. A pair of jeans and a worn out t-shirt wasn't exactly what you wore for occasions like this.

“Shut up, I'm going to get dressed right now,” Kenzie hissed at her sister and grabbed a teal laced midi dress which she had bought specifically for the occasion. “Can you hand me the beige pumps?” she asked her father and gestured at a small bag leaning against the nightstand. She had brought more shoes than she had brought clothes, in a true shoe-holic fashion. She made her way to the bathroom and locked the door behind her, changing into her planned attire for today’s activities.

“Do I look okay?” she asked even though she knew what the answer would be. Her father would tell her how beautiful she looked and her sister would make a snide remark which Kenzie would then brush off as an inability to compliment people.

“Absolutely beautiful,” her father nodded with a smile.

“Teal’s not exactly your best color, but alright,” Portia replied with a hint of a grin on her face.

So predictable.

“I’ll tell Colton you said that,” Kenzie retorted, the corners of her lips going up in a fake smile. “Because, you know, I’m meeting Colton. Today.” She grabbed her purse and filled it with some essentials, including her cell phone and some make up products in case of an emergency. Even though she wasn’t the biggest fan of Colton Arden, she didn’t want to come across as a hillbilly with smeared lipstick and eyeliner better suited on Taylor Momsen. Portia didn’t say anything else, but the frown on her face proved that Kenzie had hit a soft spot.

“Good luck today, sweety,” her father said and embraced her in a hug. “Just call if you need us,” he reassured and looked over at Portia. “Wish your sister good luck.” It was an order, and she decided to follow it.

“Good luck.”

With that, Kenzie left the hotel room and made her way down to the lobby.

**

Author's note: This was supposed to be a longer chapter, but I realised I won't be able to finish it by tonight, so you're getting half of it. It's better than nothing, and you'll get the rest within the next two days! Thank you for all the votes, reads and comments, they mean a lot to me x