Chapter Eleven: Into the Hall

"Alright, princess. Once more from the top."

They were outside the dining hall. The large ornate doors were open and Kat watched as a lively crowd milled about just inside, talking, drinking, and having a grand time. Banners in purple and gold hung from the wooden beams and a group of musicians dressed in Wolfgard plaid played airy, rhythmic music. The various flute and wind instruments sounded more modern than she would've expected. Then again Kat wasn't exactly sure what she should've expected. Perhaps it would serve her best to lose all of her preconceived notions – after all, this wasn't like any book, movie, or TV series taking up space on her shelves back home.

This was all brand new.

Kat craned her neck for a better view of the far side of the hall. She felt a strange pull coming from that end of the room. Some foreign yet wickedly enticing energy curled itself inside her, filling her with nervous heat that urged her to get closer, to see what adventures lay ahead. Unfortunately, there were way too many bodies in the way to make it a simple task. Still, just knowing she was moments from seeing real vampires was enough to get her pulse tapping to its very own flamenco beat.

Des moved to block her view. She shifted over to the right and stood on tiptoe to see over his shoulder. Even with her sky-high heels Des was annoyingly obstructive. He snapped his fingers in front of her face in an attempt to draw back her attention.

"Hello Kitty, anyone home?" he asked impatiently. "What's the numero uno rule for tonight?"

"I believe your exact words were 'I do the talking,  you do the gawking'," she said repeating his final words before they'd left her chambers.

He crossed his arms over his chest and gave her a suffering look. "See, when you say it, it sounds far less clever," he replied.

"Right, I'm the problem," she agreed rolling her eyes.

Des fought to keep from using some of his sizeable magic to zap his latest project. Electroshock and tulle did not mix, a fact he'd learned the hard way centuries earlier.

He tried a different approach. Des moved to stand beside her so she could watch the room without interference. After a moment he tilted his head towards her as he spoke, "Pretty amazing, huh?"

For once Kat couldn't find it in herself to disagree.

Her eyes took it all in and she sighed. "It looks like a dream," she said finally.

Des nodded. "It can be. It can also turn into a nightmare on a dime, Kat. We need to tread lightly in there," he said. "Breaking bread with a table full of vampires can get..."

"Bloody?" she offered.

"...homicidal," he finished. Des gave her a long once over, his forehead wrinkling in concern. It was plain she was excited for what tonight held but he couldn't have the petite human ruining his carefully laid plans. "Perhaps this vampire obsession of yours is a touch unhealthy. You do know the Twilight fandom woke up from the group hypnosis, right?"

Kat let out a bark of laughter. She held up her hand like a stop sign, "Please. I like my vampires less emotive and broody."

"Less emotive and broody?" Des echoed trying with every fiber in his being not to roll his eyes out of their sockets. "You really haven't met a vampire before," he said dryly.

She pulled her gaze away from the colorful partygoers and gave him a hard stare. "You are not ruining this for me, Satan," she said.

Des gave her a mocked pained look, "I wouldn't dream of it, chère."