s i x t e e n

"Your words cut deeper than a knife, now I need someone to breathe me back to life..."

I sing the lyrics quietly to myself, keeping my eyes closed.

All of Shawn's music and his voice reminded me of how proud I was of him and how far he had come from when he was just a fourteen year old kid with a guitar.

"Maddie?" I hear in the distance. I jump in surprise, turning the music down. It was Shawn, peeking into my room. I sit up instantly, looking around at the clock.

"Um, Shawn it's only twelve twenty-six, you can't be here before one." I say, taking an earbud out.

"Pshht, who said I followed the rules?" he says, walking into my room and closing the door. He had changed out of his wet clothes and into clean ones. He was wearing a burgundy Burton hoodie and some dark-wash jeans. He crawls back into my bed, snuggling up next to me.

"I see you found your gift." he says, smiling.

"Of course I did." I say.

"Did you like it?" he asks, resting his chin on my shoulder.

"Did I like it? Are you kidding me? It's the best present I've ever received." I say. This made him blush.

"I thought you would like it." he mumbles into my shoulder. I grin, pulling up the camera icon on my phone. I take a cute selfie with Shawn with my bottom lip puckered out, obviously representing that I wasn't feeling well, and Shawn kissing my cheek. It was a really adorable photo, so I posted it on my Twitter and Instagram.

@themaddiedallas: so lucky to have my best friend by my side ❤️ @shawnmendes

I post the picture, almost immediately getting comments and likes. I check the Instagram comments.

"Y'all date?"

"why's Maddie in the hospital?"

"omfg she's so lucky"

I decide to respond back to a couple of them just to be nice.

"@karamendes1998 nah, we're not dating, just really close friends."

"@caseymiller832 I'm in the hospital for personal reasons and I'm not really ready to make it public yet, sorry 😘"

"@taylorg73 Shawn said he loves you 😉"

"Hey, Maddie! I never said that!" Shawn says, grabbing for my phone.

"She's a fan, I'm just being nice!"

"Lying is not nice, Maddie!" Shawn says. I laugh, holding my phone above my head so he can't get it.

All of a sudden, the door opens, and Shawn and I freeze in our spots. A nurse peers in to the room, glancing between us.

"You can't be in here." she says to Shawn, glaring at him.

"I'm just trying to make my girlfriend feel better. She's really sick and no one ever comes to visit her except me. Please let me stay, she gets really lonely." Shawn says smoothly, hugging me to his side and planting a kiss on my cheek. I go along with it, hugging Shawn tightly and plastering a fake pout on my face for effect.

The nurse purses her lips.

"Fine, you can stay. But you have to be quiet, there's an elderly man across the hall from you who complained." she says, leaving. Once I know she's out of earshot, I let go of Shawn, laughing.

"You play the girlfriend card too easily." I say. Shawn chuckles, exposing his perfect, white teeth.

"It's not the first time I've had to do it." he says. I smile, remembering all the times when we've had to fake-date for the public.