Chapter 12

Ten minutes later, I find myself squeezing between people by the bucketload, trying to find Cameron. This was a bad idea. I can't even see through this ocean of teens. When I finally do find Cam in her royal backyard, she is standing in a gazebo. Ivy and flowers climb the fence holding the structure together. Small lanterns hang from the ceiling of the build. It's beautiful.

"Hi!" I yell above the voices and music.

"What?!" she yells back.

"Hi!" I repeat, more aggravated this time.

"Oh! Hi!" she says. She is with Derek and some other guy. Probably moving onto her next guy. Not me though. I haven't had a first guy to move on from. I sigh internally.

"Success!" Derek yells at her. She clinks a plastic cup of coke with him. I don't know why I always expected most people to be drunk at my first freshmen party, I guess that is more of a senior thing.

A few other guys come up in the gazebo. Knowing they will all be competing for Cam's attention, I leave the area. I look over my shoulder to see her twirling her blonde hair around her finger, and giggling. I will not sink that low to flirt.

I look around, not exactly knowing what to do. Where do I stand? How do I stand? Do I dance? Do I talk? Do I yell random stuff? Do I chug a bottle of coke? Or do I just stand here and wait? I know I am way over analyzing all of this, but I don't know what I am meant to do. If I don't know how to handle a middle school party, I sure as hell don't know how to handle a high school one.

Before I know what to do, I am approached---from behind. I always get startled by people. They have got to stop doing that.

"Hey," I turn around. A guy with black hair and light brown eyes is facing me. He is closer to me than I'd prefer. At least I think that's what I prefer? Ugh. I don't know anything about anything.

"Hi." I say bluntly. Not knowing what else to respond with.

"You're Spencer's brother." I say, suddenly recognizing him from a photo she had shown me. She lied. He has a lot more testosterone than she said. The guy was beautiful---flawless.

"Oh, you know her?" he laughs.

"Yeah, met her the first day." I guess she brought him as her +1.

"My first day was last year. Beginnings tough, but you'll get used to it." he takes a sip of whatever is in his cup. I can't see over it, he is way taller. Just a little intimidating.

"What's your name?" he asks me, taking another step closer. I want to take a step backwards on reflex, but I stand my ground. I can't judge a situation like this. I don't know what is happening.

"Rain," I say, forcing a smile through my uncomfortability.

"Sweet name," he grins at me, showing a line of perfect teeth. One twinkles like I see in movies before he closes his mouth back up.

"Thanks," I pause for a moment, "What's yours?"

"Wess," he smiles again.

"Cool." I say, staring unsurely at him.

Wess and I talk to each other for about a half hour, mostly just getting to know each other. I figure, this is just like Derek. I just have to get used to being around a guy and then we can be friends. Quick, easy, and no problem. Except there was a problem. Because the next thing he said kind of screwed up that plan.

"Hey," he scratches the back of his neck briefly, before continuing. "You want to go out and see a movie or something tomorrow night?" My heart pounds after he says it. Me on a date? Me on a date... Me on a date! Well my plant kind of worked out I guess. My heart leaps out of my chest, and into my throat. My mouth goes dry, and I open my mouth to respond, but words do not come out. I want this.